Sign in to follow this  
D Block

My first Wheel Horse. Maintenance items?

D Block

So I went to buy a tractor for my new house. After going to all the big box stores I determined that everything available was junk. My grandfather always had wheel horses, my uncle currently has 2. After 5 minutes on my local craigslist I found a 310-8 with a 36" deck and a trailer for $600. I was yanking bushes out in no time, couldn't be happier. What maintenance items should I give attention to? Trans fluid, oil change, spark plug, etc. Thanks in advance.

B-8074

When I get a " new/old " tracto I start by giving it a good cleaning with the pressure washer. After that I'll take all the tins off the engine and remove the hood, fender pan and seat, and the covers on the hood stand. I then repeat the cleaning and get all the stuff that's gets caked up in the books and crannys. Make sure there's no grass or grease stuck in the engine cooling fins. Also make sure you keep the carburetor covered and check the shifted boot for cracks. If its cracked you probably have water in the tranny.

After everything is all cleaned up I change oil and tranny fluid, put in a new air filter, check the points and change the spark plugs. If water is present in the tranny it will need flushed with kerosene or diesel fuel first. And also make sure to get all the grease points.

B-100 Dan

Hi D Block, and welcome to Redsquare. Like the previous post, a good cleaning, oil change, air filter, check and change rear-end lube if dirty or milky colored (Water). Check water/ acid level in battery. Put fresh gas in it, grease it, and enjoy...

I was out to your town last fall to visit a friend I was over in Vietnam with, nice area. Good luck with your "New" Tractor. Sounds like you got a good one.

varosd

:WRS: :wwp:

D Block

I'll see if I can post a couple pics. Went to sharpen the blades and found some rust holes in the deck. It was really getting weak around one of the front mounts. I sandwiched some 3/16 stock in there and welded it up. I think a newer deck is in order for next season. On the short list; bigger front wheels/tires. My uncle has an old 416-8 kicking around for parts. Will the front end bolt up to mine?

can whlvr

:WRS: yes the front end will work,but all you will need is the rims and tires,i would change the fuel lines,and i would also just change all the fluids,its only 2 quarts of 80-90 weight gear oil for the rear,and all the rest that was said allready