Sign in to follow this  
MarkPalmer

K181 silly piston ring dilemma

MarkPalmer

I have not ran in to this problem with a Kohler K series engine before, and am bewildered: I’m getting ready to put new rings in my K181, and was checking the end gaps in the freshly deglazed standard size cylinder. (Every ring pushed in to same spot in cylinder, about an inch down with a used piston.) I have 3 sets of new rings, 2 are aftermarket that I had sitting around, and I bought a NOS set of genuine Kohler rings because I thought the aftermarket ones couldn't be right. On all 3 sets the same thing is happening- The oil and 2nd scraper ring measure end gaps of ~.012-.015â€, which is acceptable for a refinished cylinder. (Kohler states .027 max.) The problem is the top compression ring. On every set it is a chromed ring, and the end gap measures .020-.022â€, significantly bigger than the other 2 rings. Are they purposely making the chrome top rings that way for some reason, and if so why? What to do? Do I ditch the chrome ring and use a scraper ring as the top ring for lesser end gap, or just use the chrome ring as its end gap is still within the tolerance? (And for amusement only, why do I always seem to have stupid problems like this?)

-Mark-

• Like 1

Kelly

On a car the top ring has more gap because it gets all the heat and will expand more making a narrow ring gap close up and the ends butting together, not a good thing, I'm thinking the same on these small engines, even though they don't get the high heat of a car engine, but close.

Fordiesel69

If it is still in tolerance then you are fine. The top ring in all the kohlers will have a larger gap from my experiance. Even if you order a 0.003" over piston, it will still have standard rings. I ran into this very same issue you are asking about and when looking in the book it was indeed in spec. Kelly is right about the heat, and the EGT;s are still very hot just like a car when they are worked hard.