Sign in to follow this  
Road-Track

Another one joins the herd

Road-Track

Well, I was mowing the lawn last month during the hot spell with my 83' C145A and had forgotten to check the oil after using it for a few hours the day before. :angry-nono:

While I was mowing a side hill the engine started to seize....I quickly shut it down and checked the oil...empty. I put 1.5 qts in and got the engine to turn over then start... A few moments later it started to knock. (Turns out the dipper broke and a nut on the rod cap came off, but didn't throw the rod.)

Now I spy a C165 8sp on CL ....Road Trip!!!

post-3435-0-32839700-1342743213_thumb.jp

When I got to the sellers the tractor wouldn't fire. It was a 1984 with the metal pan and a front wheel and PTO from a newer 520. After checking everything and putting in the battery I brought. We found the points needed a clean and fired it up. The head gasket was leaking...

I re-torqued the head and stopped the leak. I found the nice looking rust hole/weld free 42" SD deck was sprung and made some strange cuts. Well after some dickering ( called Horse Trading in these cases) I brought the beast home at a fairer price.

After cleaning the carbon build-up and replacing the head gasket, spark plug, oil and greasing/oiling every moving part. The tractor runs strong with only a slight puff at start. I found the deck was a 1986 and the blades hang down about 1/2" below the front edge of the deck. Definitely sprung so I am using my older 42".

Last week I was looking at CL again for some reason and came across a Snow Cab! I am now banned from CL by my wife for a few weeks...

post-3435-0-38670000-1342743445.jpg

The story continues, but will have to wait for another day

KC9KAS

Nice looking cab.

I bought my 8th WH last weekend (wife was with me, so no surprizes) and she said, I think you need to start thinning the herd. I said, "Yes dear"!

bowtiebutler956

Nice score !! Sorry to here about the C-145, but now you have a C-165 with the badest thumper Kohler ever made ! :woohoo: I've been banned from Craigslist in the past as well. :hide: At the rate I'm going I'm going to be banned from :techie-ebay: soon. :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

Foozerush

Nice find!! That's my next one... A black hood!!

SNYFIX

Your right rear hub has loosened up and slid in -- Left that way the 1/2 moon axle key will eventually work it's way out

and/or the hub will wear the trans housing down so a leak can result from a worn out seal.

Road-Track

:bow-blue: Eagle Eye!

Thanks, you are correct. I found the hub was about 1/2 inch in and one of the bolts was broken off at the hub. The other side is fine but both sides show seal weeping. I will have to perform a little surgery :eusa-think:

You can see the right wheel is farther in

post-3435-0-26935400-1342789013_thumb.jp

The other side was OK

The cab is going on the C145 for snowplowing duties once I rebuilt the engine.

Thanks for the tip! :handgestures-thumbsup: I had checked my C145 when I got it and didn't have a problem.

Jake Kuhn

Nice scores! :bow-blue: Jake

varosd

Take the Frau out to Dinner, flowers etc!!! :D

Road-Track

Take the Frau out to Dinner, flowers etc!!! :D

I did! :thanks:

:techie-eureka: I think I will pull the 16 horse and put it in my C145 for now since I see a few things I want to fix on the C165. I also like the hydro for mowing my lawn more.

When I rebuild the 14 hp I might put it in the C165 with the 8 speed and keep the 16 hp in the auto since you loose a few horses with the hydro.

What should I do? :eusa-think: