Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

A quick worker refurbish.

Kelly

Got home from work about noon today, and started right in on the tractor, I needed a nice seat but they are hard to come by used, I did have one on a old tractor I used to use, I put a new cover on it a few years ago it was still nice but it was gray, so I went to our shop supply house and picked up some Vinyl paint, made for soft vinyl, it was $15 a can but cheaper than a seat, so I thought I would try it, first I painted the seat pan with some Rustoleum black texture paint, I think it looks good and hides the scratches I didn't sand out, then I shot the vinyl paint on it sprayed very nice, looks good, time will tell how good it is.

Then I started sanding primer, I was only looking for smooth not flat or straight, the hood has a few dips in it nothing big, I welded a hole someone had drilled in the top of the hood and 5 holes in the fender, I didn't use any filler on them or anything, but they all so far look good, I sanded all the parts that are left, so tomorrow I can spray everything.

I asked the wife, great wife she is to pick up the wheels from the powder coater, and a few other things when she went to the city, for stuff she needed, and when she got home she only had 8 rims they had a problem with grease leaking out of the front rims when they baked them, so I have to pick them up next week no biggy I have what I need right now, just glad I had extras done.

seat back with texture paint

post-85-0-67766400-1343429181_thumb.jpg

Gray seat

post-85-0-22865900-1343429508_thumb.jpg

after painted with vinal paint

post-85-0-50927700-1343429718_thumb.jpg

Powder coated rims

post-85-0-21323100-1343429770_thumb.jpg

These are rims and tires I'm raffling off next week at the MI, WH show.

post-85-0-84545800-1343430027_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Martin

yes the front rims can be a real pain, dont ask me how many times ive stripped powder to redo them. after many times screwing them up, now i just bake them out first before painting them.........

Kelly

They knew about the grease and have baked them 4 times before powdering them.

Martin

i just throw them in the burn oven and the grease turns to ash at 800-850 degrees.....

the ones i just did for the cart were real bad. seems some of these wheels have that area in the middle of the two halves open for grease to fill up in there and some dont. the ones on the c125, they were sealed off in the middle so all i had to do was make sure it was all out of the bearing area. usually when i get caught is when im rushing them through and dont take the time to burn them.

Kelly

Had a busy day today, first thing this morning we had to load up for a parade we took 4 tractors, had a great time.

When I got home from the parade, I set everything up to paint, and I think I got everything sprayed, the weather was nice to paint, but the bugs were out, so I have a few critters in the paint, but it is a worker tractor so they can stay, I'm still getting the hang of using this paint, it runs easy, and is hard to get smooth with out heavy orange peel, but I think I have it, lots of thin coats, with out waiting much between coats so it melts in but is not to heavy, I did run the hood in two spots trying to get it to flow out, they with the bugs will be staying, adds character to it, then right after cleaning the gun, putting stuff away a BIG fly does the back stroke on the fender right over the side where all will see it, not in the middle where the seat will cover it, I pulled him out but I still have one or two legs left, and a nice spot where it spun in a circle :banghead: it did flow out some but what do you expect for painting outside in the driveway.

Another thing I don't like about oil base paints is the mess, I was red from head to toe, had to wash my arms in lacquer thinner, I did think to put Nitrile gloves on so my hands stayed clean.

I need to spray the sulky in the morning, more red all over everything, but I think I will be done spraying all the red after that.

Fender not looking to bad, right before a sqaudron of bugs hit it.

post-85-0-74751300-1343530600_thumb.jpg

Parts hanging, these got no bugs

post-85-0-77339900-1343530925_thumb.jpg

Hood and more parts

post-85-0-96748500-1343531023_thumb.jpg

got the top of the hood pretty smooth, with the thin coat trick

post-85-0-19547500-1343531120_thumb.jpg

one of the bugs, right after this pic is when the BIG fly landed almost the same spot

post-85-0-98563200-1343531310_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

That'll buff out...looks great Kelly.

Ken B

Lookin good Kelly. Maybe the big fly was tryin to rescue the little fly?

Kelly

No wet sanding or buffing on this one, it is what it is, bugs and all.

Headed out to mow first time in near 8 weeks, then paint the sulky, more on that later.

Kelly

Mini update, still waiting on paint to dry, but it's coming along, so I did some quick fab work for the sulky after work, and now I have more red to paint and it all needs to be done by fri.

I made up a oh **** bar for Mom to hang on to if Dad gets wild on the take offs , I had the wife pick up a bike basket so I made brackets to mount that on the front of the bar, I also made up another set of foot rest mounts so she can rest her feet on, got the back rest pad all done covered in vinyl, I made a steel backer to cover the back where I stapled it all together, and I extended the tougne out so the basket don't hit the fenders on the tractor in a turn,I'm pretty happy with how all the parts turned out, to bad I'm pressed big time for time.

Sulky partly assembled

post-85-0-72404800-1343697517_thumb.jpg

Parts I fabed up now I need to paint them after work tomorrow

post-85-0-01247000-1343697614_thumb.jpg

AMC RULES

Can't wait to see that finished up.

jay in nc

great sulky kelly! i welded hitches on all my gravely sulkeys except the steering sulkey & i hook them up with a small flat cart with a lawn chair on it. I call the train the happy hollow hooptie. i didnt takeany pictures of it at the M & G but it was a HIT !

post-4393-0-99561800-1343698920_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Kelly!! :text-datsphatyo: I'm always fighting those sorry bugs in my paint. :banghead:

Matt :flags-texas:

312Hydro

That's still some great painting, no bugs about it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ken B

Looking real nice Kelly. At the big show a few yrs. ago I saw a set of 702 fenders and tool box for sale dirt cheap. I grabbed em. Within an hr. I had em painted IH red and on my sulky.

drawingbyjesse140.jpg

• Like 1

Coadster32

Great not so quick work Kelly. I like the cherry picker idea also.

COMMANDO6

Hey Ken, does that ever flip? Or teeter on one wheel?

Ken B

No it doesn't flip, it is very stable. I have been using this Sulky for Halloween rides for my kid's for at least the past tens yrs. with no problems.

Kelly

Well it's running, and 98% together, will be done in the morning, I hope the decals are in the mail tomorrow, if not it will be stickerless, no pics, I had a LOOONG day, I tired as heck, another couple of long days coming up too, i'll get pics in the morning.

Martin

Looking forward to seeing it maybe tomorrow kelly.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowtiebutler956

I'm looking forward to seeing it as well Kelly! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

Looking forward to seeing it in person on saturday! ~Jake

Stigian

I have just read this all the way through.. Sounds like you have had a right nightmare with the paint!!

Can't wait for the photo's Kelly.

varosd

Kelly

looks like your "quick worker refurb" is a top notch restore (bugs and all)!!! those Ag wheels look brutal! send me a set!!! :rolleyes:

Kelly

Sorry for the late update but the last 5 days have been but a blur, I've been very busy running the MI. WH show, it went over good but turn out was low, gas prices and mid to upper 90 deg heat did not help, and I was out in it for 4 days straight, I can say I'm cooked.

Anyway, I got it done fri. about noon, but the decals still had not showed up so it went to the show anyway, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, not a restore, but a very clean very nice running work tractor, I don't think it set still very long most of the weekend, my Daughter Hunter had a friend stay with us at the show fri. and most of sat. she learned to drive a WH on this, Ryan, my Mom, Nick my oldest and his gierlfriend all drove the crap out of it, it became the go to tractor because it stated and ran nice and drove very well, never had even a small problem with it, Mon wanted to take it home.

The paint gave me fits, but it seems to be pretty dry now, you could today after I washed it and setting it the sun still smell the paint, so I know it is not cured all the way, if you use other primer the paint is probably good for a worker, but not a restore, I can see it is losing it's shine all ready, not bad but does not have the fresh look any more after a week.

This is going to make someone a nice tractor.

Here it is after a wash and dry, getting ready for the decals that came in the mail today

post-85-0-97513200-1344293774_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-61325200-1344294053_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-49379800-1344294236_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-16524700-1344294282_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-47126900-1344294427_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-77319000-1344294591_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-57944900-1344294657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Martin

looks good all finished, kelly.

i was really surprised how good a runner this was on the weekend. would be a great worker or go to tractor like you said.

so are you gonna keep it or sell it off?