Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

A quick worker refurbish.

bowtiebutler956

Sorry the paints been such a pain in the rear, but it really is looking good! :text-datsphatyo:

Matt :flags-texas:

kpinnc

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the paint Kelly, but it sure looks good from here!

Hopefully that stuff will last a LONG time.

Kelly

Well I just got home early a little bit ago, adding near double the hardener helped, the paint on the engine is darn near dry, it's as dry as the frame I painted 24 hours before, I know the 98 deg temps are helping but all of it is in the same heat, as for the primer, I can still leave a finger print in it, I'm going to leave it, and work on a few other things, we might if it cools off some put the engine back in and clean up some more parts.

COMMANDO6

Sorry that that paint is being a pain in the rear. Needless to say, other folks on here should probably shy away from it.

rmaynard

Kind of makes you wish you'd started the job with some cheap acrylic urethane doesn't it? :confusion-waiting: What's your total cost so far for paint, hardener and reducer?

AMC RULES

Is the relative humidity level high where you're located Kelly, maybe that is what's prolonging the drying time?

Kelly

Bob the cost is pretty low, I will not use anywhere near the gallon of paint ($26), maybe half, so if I figure half the cost of that, primer, paint reducer, hardener, about $50 tops, I'll use up this paint on other stuff, that can set with out a time limit, the primer is going someplace other than here.

The humidity is high, I know that is not helping, the paint is drying, as I said more hardener is working out, I knew this paint would be slow, as that is oil base paint, the primer is STILL wet under the skin on top.

Work looks slow at the shop this week so I think I will be home early a few days, I may pull sheet metal off another tractor and prime them, if I strip this primer I will have to get every last spot of it off before I can use another type over it.

We got a few things bolted back together carefully, no chips or scratches, I painted some small stuff with rattle cans, black, silver and I did buy one can of Majic IH red it does match the gal. pretty good, I did a few brackets with it.

I worked on the sulky some also, found a seat and backrest for it

Well here is where I stopped tonight

post-85-0-16292100-1343094378_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-05575600-1343094674_thumb.jpg

Zeek

Nice job!

6wheeler

Hmmmm, whoulda thunk it. A Dupont overhaul. Well, I like it. What is the point of having these awesome tractors if I can't use them. I am sorry. But, if I can't use them? Well, I may as well just have a picture.....Nice job...... I hope your folks have fun with it Kelly. And you have good use from it after. Pat

B-8074

Looks real good.

Kelly

Hmmmm, whoulda thunk it. A Dupont overhaul. Well, I like it. What is the point of having these awesome tractors if I can't use them. I am sorry. But, if I can't use them? Well, I may as well just have a picture.....Nice job...... I hope your folks have fun with it Kelly. And you have good use from it after. Pat

This is not just a dupont overhaul, I had tweaked and repaired this tractor over the past month prior to this, and had it up for sale, it is a nice running and functioning tractor, it was just ugly, and I needed something for the parents to drive, so I got torn apart, it got a few more things like axle seals, it will get all new fluids, new trans filter, fuel lines, fuel filter, tires are being changed to some nice turfs, this will be up for sale at the show, and after if it don't sell my son Ryan is going to use it around the yard, it will not be anything special, I didn't fix any dents other than with a hammer, no bondo at all, in fact I didn't sand all the rust off, painted right over it, so either some one will buy it and do what ever with it, or it will be a worker here till then, the barn is full so it will probably even set out side.

stevebo

This is one of those that you want to sell at the end of the show so your parents can use it at the show. Watch... you will have a guy want to buy it before you get it off the trailer... You may want to have a for sale sign on it but not until the end... Looks fine Kelly.

Kelly

Yes Steve, it will be for sale, but can't have it till the end of the day, I'm not going through all this for them not to use it, and to think I didn't get any bites on it for $350 or best offer, it is a nice tractor but needed a face lift, it will not be that cheap now.

6wheeler

This is not just a dupont overhaul, I had tweaked and repaired this tractor over the past month prior to this, and had it up for sale, it is a nice running and functioning tractor, it was just ugly, and I needed something for the parents to drive, so I got torn apart, it got a few more things like axle seals, it will get all new fluids, new trans filter, fuel lines, fuel filter, tires are being changed to some nice turfs, this will be up for sale at the show, and after if it don't sell my son Ryan is going to use it around the yard, it will not be anything special, I didn't fix any dents other than with a hammer, no bondo at all, in fact I didn't sand all the rust off, painted right over it, so either some one will buy it and do what ever with it, or it will be a worker here till then, the barn is full so it will probably even set out side.

Oh, Sorry Kelly. I didn't realize you put that much work into it. When I got my 120, my buddy said restore it. So, I did (sort of) ! rattle can of red to cover up rust. Change oil, (engine and tranny) Check the belts, grease her up and put her to work. When I sold it, the N.O. thought it was great. That I think would be a problem for me, if I put alot of time into a restore, then I may get attached. And," We Can't Have That". I may need these things for trade material so I could get something I really don't need. If you get my drift. Pat

Kelly

Well the primer was still not dry, so off it came, I used a putty knife to scrape it off, then tried stripper to get the rest off, but that made a mess, then I thought this is oil base and the stripper is like $8 a can, but gas is only $3.50 so I poured some gas on it, the primer wiped right off, used about half gal. after scraping it, now I'm back to where I started, I hope to have good primer on it after work tomorrow.

Primer after 3 days, I could still rub it off with my finger, I do not recomend this primer for anything.

post-85-0-57191200-1343181596_thumb.jpg

Same spot as above with a push of my finger

post-85-0-84149700-1343181681_thumb.jpg

After scraping the primer off with a putty knife

post-85-0-64716300-1343181797_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-31245700-1343181862_thumb.jpg

I could ball the primer up like clay, after scraping it off, this is 3 days in 90 deg weather

post-85-0-52412300-1343181910_thumb.jpg

stevebo

That sucks Kelly.

rmaynard

Wow! So much for a "quick worker refurbish".

• Like 1

Martin

well at least your back to a good base again kelly.....

im sure you will have primer and color on those pieces in no time.......

Kelly

This sucks, I should have NOT tried the cheap stuff, I think the paint will be ok, not great, and I will not use it again, I'll go back to better stuff, but I had to try it to see.

I hope to have primer on and painted by sat. or sooner, sooner would be better for drying.

weien's wheel horses

Looks realy good kelly

Ken B

I wonder if TSC will notice the new lack of sales of IH red paint? Spread the word guys to anyone that you know that might be painting a tractor, Wheel Horse or not that this paint pretty much sucks! Thanks again Kelly, you have done us all a real solid by being willing to give this stuff a try. I can't wait to see it finished.

312Hydro

The work you have done on the tractor looks great ! It's too bad that sub par materials got in the way of your quick refurb. The bright side is the fact that you were able to use your experience (putting your really nice tractors together ) to find a fast solution to the paint problems! It's easy to see that this is going to be a nice tractor soon. Keep up the good work!It will sure be worth all the effort when you see your parents using it! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Fun Engineer

Nice job Kelly. After Valspar was removed form TSC I decided to go back to the automotive paint. I'm glad you've performed the experiment for us. I'm staying away from the Majic brand. Looking forward to meeting you next weekend.

Kelly

Well I picked some auto primer today, it's cheap but is a 2 part epoxy, I've used it before, it fills and sands good, I'm in to eat dinner but after that I'm going to spray some on the parts, I have spent the last 1.5 hours repreping the parts, I was a bit POed lastnight taking the junk primer off, and I scratched the factory paint I had left on it, and in some spots I gouged the metal, oops!! well I sanded most all that out, now to wipe it down and spray it all again, I should be putting color on tonight not re priming.

• Like 1

Kelly

I'm a happy camper, I sprayed the primer tonight and some of it that I only put 2 coats on was ready to sand, the rest was close, I'll sand it all tomorrow, then I dug out that little pile of stuff you always have when tearing a tractor apart you know the stuff that you say I'll get to that in a min. or tomorrow, and the pile grows with small odd stuff, or the things you really don't want to do, well I got 90% of it all sanded or prep ed for paint, some of the little stuff got painted black or rattle can red.

I hope like hell they appreciate the work I'm doing just so they have a decent looking ride for the show....... I know they will but you know you think that or say it out loud to your self as your plugging away.

This is FAR from a restore, but it will be a good looking, worker tractor when done.

• Like 1