Sign in to follow this  
chadhump

1973 GT 14 Value

chadhump

Hi folks, I'm new to the forums here, but I wanted to get your take on the value of my 73 GT 14. I'm considering selling it and it has been in the family since new in 1973. It is all original (minus a few parts like the custom throttle cable, missing hood latch and headlight lense and foot pedal that I have just not on the tractor). The engine has never been rebuilt and does not leak or burn oil. The transmission still works great and has not been converted to motor oil, it still uses the AT fluid. My dad built a lot of Cat0 attachments for it and it is pretty handy but I don't have a garden. This thing just needs a nice paint job and a little TLC. It has been a strong worker and always kept in a garage or building. Now that I think about it, I think my dad did replace the hydraulic hoses in the last 10 years but that is the most this thing has needed. It still has the original tires that have liquid in them for weight and also a newer seat that is not torn and a new battery last year.

I recently changed the engine oil, transmission filter and fluid.

Anyway, I appreciate your opinions which may help me to decide to sell or keep it. I'm a little torn and if I could find a good loader for it, I might consider restoring it myself since I'd use a loader much more than a plow these days.

www.photobucket.com/whgt14

Thanks,

Chad

North Carolina

Wheel Horse Kid

Welcome to Red Square Chad! I think that original as the tractor is and is good of shape as it looks, my opinion is that you should keep it. It also seems like it brings back some good memories for you. Just my .2 cents.

Tankman

Can't put a price on your Horse! One of the family but, if you don't have a use

for the machine, list it on Craigs List.

I've seen a few Horses like yours, $500 or there 'bouts.

chadhump

Thanks for the comments. I am torn about the idea of selling it which is why I have never listed it for sale. It has sentimental value to me but doesn't see much use. I think a small restoration project would not be too much work and may be something I decide to do as well. If I could find a loader that works for it I think that would change my mind on selling it. Any ideas on options for a loader to put on it?

Thanks,

Chad

Ole MN

Welcome, they are good machines and i would not be to hasty about selling it if i was you. There are loaders around but ussually with a tractor, or there are a nimber of fokes here who have built them. But if your should really are set on selling it I would look a round for what others have been selling for. There is one around here w/loader going for 3500. What ever you do good luck.

can whlvr

if i were you and im not,i would never sell a family owned wheelhorse,you might regret it down the road,and its very satisfying to restore them

varosd

keep it! looks like its in well cared for condition!! :WRS:

neil

I live in UK & Have 2 GT 14s and there is no way on this earth that i would sell any of mine even though i dont have the sentimental value as you have .

I can tell you now that if you sell it you WILL regret it

you Could get the parts off that auction site quite easily and do a small restoration like you said ..

It looks like a real nice tractor and they dont come up that often is as good a condition as yours

KEEP IT FOR SURE

Ken B

My question is, why are you considering selling it? Does it get put to any use around the homestead? With the money you make off of its sale I doubt it will be life changing and you won't be able to replace it with anything worth a lick. I have a brother that lives in Statesville N.C. and I have him keeping an eye out for Wheel Horse's for me. He rides his Harley all over the country sides and he tells me that for the most part all he ever see's in the way of garden tractors is cheap junk. He don't see very many Wheel Horse's in your State. Maybe you can enjoy being one of the lucky guys. Nice GT-14 by the way!

chadhump

Ken, it is mainly from the lack of use that I even considered it. I think I needed to just ask the question and hear from others what I probably already knew. My main goal was to possibly sell it and find something else that has a FEL. But, like you said, its not like I'm going to get a ton of $$$ for it and anything I buy with a FEL is not going to be cheap.

Thanks everyone for your comments and I think I'll just keep it. It is a pretty nice machine and will give it some attention this winter. I have a lot of fond memories of this tractor as a kid so selling it would probably result in my regretting it later.

I'll bug you guys later to get some resto tips!

Thanks,

Chad

neil

There is a gt 14 with FEL on that auction site at the moment maybe use this as guide of what its worth or what you wouls expect to have to pay

But i would still keep the one you have

Better the devil you know than the devil you dont