Sign in to follow this  
Fast N Red

Sun pro volt meter

Fast N Red

Hey guys i have another WH ? I have a sun pro volt its brand new and has a light but can i hook it up whats the diference? I also have a temp Gauge that i want to find our how to use and lastly a oil pressure one that i know i cant .. or can i :eusa-think::)

Thank you

smoreau

This all depends on the engine and the meter. If the engine has a pressure feed pump, the oil pressure meter will work. these are engines that have a oil filter. Temp gauge most likely will not work, that uses coolant sensor and air cooled engines don't have coolant. but could be used as a oil temp. As for the volt meter, that will work. just hook it up to key on power and a good ground. If you want a engine temp gauge, they can be had and most hook to a ring under the spark plug and are not cheep. I looked into it for my mini ambulance and decided to opt out after finding out the price. The 520's have a hot head temp sensor that grounds out when it gets too hot. that would operate a light if you wanted some thing cheep.

JamesBe1

I would hook up the voltmeter light to the tractor lights so that it only lights when you hit the switch. Just my 2c worth.

Fast N Red

This all depends on the engine and the meter. If the engine has a pressure feed pump, the oil pressure meter will work. these are engines that have a oil filter. Temp gauge most likely will not work, that uses coolant sensor and air cooled engines don't have coolant. but could be used as a oil temp. As for the volt meter, that will work. just hook it up to key on power and a good ground. If you want a engine temp gauge, they can be had and most hook to a ring under the spark plug and are not cheep. I looked into it for my mini ambulance and decided to opt out after finding out the price. The 520's have a hot head temp sensor that grounds out when it gets too hot. that would operate a light if you wanted some thing cheep.

its a k301 Kohler how can i hook up the oil temp?

Save Old Iron

drill and tap an appropriate size hole in the oil pan - situate your particular sensor so if does not contact the dipper arm on the con rod. Height wise - make sure the oil sensor is below the level of oil in the pan. Interesting project.

Is the gauge mechanical or electrical ?

Fast N Red

its mechanical

drill and tap an appropriate size hole in the oil pan - situate your particular sensor so if does not contact the dipper arm on the con rod. Height wise - make sure the oil sensor is below the level of oil in the pan. Interesting project.

Is the gauge mechanical or electrical ?

Save Old Iron

no problem then - drilling and tapping cast iron is not a problem.

only wiring needed would be for the backlight (if you plan to use one).

Callen

Can you just put a tee in the drain pipe?

Fast N Red

Can you just put a tee in the drain pipe?

i was at the hardware store getting a T when my phone said i had a new email ... it was yours
  • Like 1

Save Old Iron

please consider a few issues with Tee connections and additional piping -

1/ you are removing the oil temp sensor a considerable distance from the oil bath. Temperatures outside the oil pan can vary dramatically from summer to winter and will have a definite effect on the reading of the oil temp gauge.

2/ you are adding considerable weight and additional stress to the oil pan by hanging a longer, heavier "lever" off the drain hole. The natural vibration of the tractor engine (and jarring from use) may cause the additional weight on the end of the lever (your additional pipe and sensor head) to start vibrating excessively and lead to possible stress cracking the piping or the oil pan.

A Tee will work well for oil pressure readings but introduce noticeable (seasonal) inaccuracies into the oil temp readings.

Fast N Red

please consider a few issues with Tee connections and additional piping -

1/ you are removing the oil temp sensor a considerable distance from the oil bath. Temperatures outside the oil pan can vary dramatically from summer to winter and will have a definite effect on the reading of the oil temp gauge.

2/ you are adding considerable weight and additional stress to the oil pan by hanging a longer, heavier "lever" off the drain hole. The natural vibration of the tractor engine (and jarring from use) may cause the additional weight on the end of the lever (your additional pipe and sensor head) to start vibrating excessively and lead to possible stress cracking the piping or the oil pan.

A Tee will work well for oil pressure readings but introduce noticeable (seasonal) inaccuracies into the oil temp readings.

ok heres what i did i took the 90of the oil drain and drilled and taped it the temp prob it quite long and reaches in the oil pan this will only be used for summer, its a puller

Fast N Red