Sign in to follow this  
Tankman

Identify

Tankman

Been years since ownin' a Wheel Horse. Picked one up today, 12 hp / automatic / 42" side discharge.

Can use some help, model, year, owners manual? Mower deck, model, manual?

More than excited bout this new Horse, been to long livin' without a "real" machine.

I posted an image, the Horse in front of my barn with our Americal flag.

smoreau

not seeing any picture? How did you post it?

can whlvr

:WRS: some pics would be handy,are you seeing the 12 automatic on a decal or do you mean its a 12 hp,and an auto tranny which could be many different models as wheel horse has made autos since 65,i think the 12 hp auto started after that,around 67 all the way into the 90,sif its a no name 12 hp auto its from 1973,try 1-0460 or 1-0465,those are 1973 12 hp auto model number,but we could use more info to see what you have

tunahead72

There's a photo in the Gallery, I'll let others more knowledgeable than me identify the actual model and year:

And :WRS: from a fellow Pennsylvanian -- what part of the state are you in?

Tankman

Eastern PA 'bout 15 miles south of Allentown.

Years ago, I owned several Wheel Horse tractors. Sons took the Horses, used them, sold them eventually, and moved

into the junque from the outlets.

I have a Cub Cadet but, always dreamed 'bout the old Wheel Horse tractors I owned.

Then, along came this machine, excellent condition, all works well. Bye Cub.

varosd

:WRS: :wh:

Kelly

Your tractor is a 73, and looks to be in great shape, with a elect. clutch, :WRS:

Lane Ranger

Nice looking Wheel Horse 12 automatic ! This should last you a long time with good maintenance!

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

Tankman

Well the Horse is a 1-0465 B. Like duh, found the tag.

I did powerwash the tractor, carefully, today, Nice, well kept.

Paint is faded, expected. Is there a generic; i.e.: RustOLeum or autoparts spray paint that'll match (or near) the original

beautiful (sorry, I love Wheel Horse) color?

I like the grease fittings on the mower deck wheels, well built. My older decks were 36" rear discharge, so (had to have one)

towed a Jackson sweeper.

tunahead72

Eastern PA 'bout 15 miles south of Allentown.

Very good, we're not too far from each other, and there's several other RedSquare members in this general area, I hope we can meet up sometime.

Welcome back to the herd, and have fun with your new tractor!

Tankman

Been in Phoenixville many times, "Howdy neighbor."

More than, even at my age, excited to be back with a Horse worthy of the task.

Shelf spray paint color anyone?

Never had an automatic, hopefully holds up as well as the old gear drives I've owned in the past.

I chuckled the other day watchin' a middle aged couple loading a riding "thing" at Home Cheapo.

I had given up cuttin' grass, plowing, snow blowing when I hired a landscaper to take care of things.

Let the landscaper go after a few years. First, economy hurtin'; second, an ex agronomy student, like grass.

The current dry spell has me chompin' at the bit.

Besides the "new" Wheel Horse, I have a Cub Cadet SLT 1550, hydro, 50" mower.

Cub is parked, back in the barn, behind the "workin'" Horse.

Any leads on owners manuals? Deck? 1-0465 B tractor manual?

oldredrider

Off the shelf paint...Rustoleum regal red...available at Lowes.

fourwheels0

nice tractor. durable as all get out.

alot of people use international harvester red spray paint. available at lowes or tractor supply.

it's close to the factory red.

boovuc

Welcome to :rs:

Nice machine and I'm glad your back with the Red Ones! Keep that off the NorthEast Extension!

• Like 1

Tankman

Thanks boovuc! Hope all's well in Central PA!

Can I take the Northeast Extension if I ride 'n mow the shoulder? :eusa-think:

My first "thing" 'bout 30-40 years ago was a Craftsman. A friend asked, "What's that thing?"

He delivered a basket case Wheel Horse, I know now the difference 'tween lawn or garden.

Got a lot of rain here just off Route 309 late afternoon and continues, filled my Koi pond.

Better yet making the grass grow for the Wheel Horse to graze on. :woohoo:

tunahead72

As far as manuals, there's lots of free downloadable versions around...

You should be able to find owner's manuals and parts manuals for your tractor and mower deck on the Toro web site (www.toro.com). Look for a link to manuals there, and then enter 1-0465 for the tractor and 5-1010 for the mower (that's probably your deck model number, see if you can find an ID tag on yours to make sure). If there's a box for your serial number, just leave it blank.

The original engine on your tractor would have been a Kohler K301S, spec. no. 47421D -- there's an owner's manual and service manual under the Files tab here on RedSquare:

http://www.wheelhors...81241301321341/

You may be able to find a parts manual for that engine on the Kohler web site (www.kohlerengines.com).

If your transmission is original, it will be a Sundstrand 90-1136. I don't know anything about these, but there's a repair manual here that appears to cover that particular model:

See what you can find, and then feel free to ask if there's anything you can't locate.

• Like 1

Tankman

Picked up quite a bit of documentation relating to my "new" horse; 1973 Model #1-0465. Guess I'm

a Wheel Horse nut, again.

I see very little mention of "Model 1-0465." Is there a reason? Should I look for something else?

Small example, in Reviews, the model listing doesn't include 1-0465. Looking on Craigs List or eBay,

same result. No listing for my model.

Additionally, I need a head light lens, mine is cracked leaving a long edge opening. Looks awful.

kthack657

Hey Tankman nice tractor there, I am pretty close to you too, I am in Bensalem, and I have to say it does sound like the wheel horse bug has once again bitten you!! The one down fall is now I have more competition...lol :D

Welcome to

:rs:

Tankman

Hey Tankman nice tractor there, I am pretty close to you too, I am in Bensalem, and I have to say it does sound like the wheel horse bug has once again bitten you!! The one down fall is now I have more competition...lol :D

Welcome to

:rs:

Wheel Horse bug disease, contagious! Been a few weeks since purchasing the Horse, comin' along very nice!

I did mow this past weekend but, used my Cub Cadet. Didn't want to dirty the Horse. :laughing-rofl:

Used to live (early 70's) on Brownsville Road, Trevose, just a few home after turning off Old Street Road. Small world!