Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

520 Heat Shield

MalMac

Been messing around with a 520H on all the wiring and the famous wiring plug. Was thinking of putting up some kinda of a Heat Shield all the way across the front of the battery. Sort of like a firewall, using some type of reflective insulation. The amount of heat that comes up there is unbelievable. I was also wondering if a lot of the heat makes it up there because of the belt guard blockage. I know the pin connectors fail because of all the amps running through them but all the heat being applied by the engine sure can't help.

jay in nc
post-4393-0-92145300-1341755359_thumb.jpi'd vent the belt guard first then do the firewall. varosd just posted in modifactions the belt guard i sold him at the big show. this is the one on my 518. mowed high field grass with it yesterday 102 deg. works well . will be making 3 more with louvers in them. & still have 2 with square holes. Jaypost-4393-0-49649800-1341755796_thumb.jp

Todd

I didnt put a heat shield,but I did put some window screen in front of the battery to keep all of the crap out of the area.I also used some on the bottom of the trans in front of the fins.Mounting was easy,just used some left over screw clips and a few ties......

Cable

It is possible to replace the two connector pins that usually fail with gold plated ones. Gold takes away the corrosion possibility and leaves you with a factory connector, making changing engines easier. Otherwise you want to keep the connector dry and clean, same for the fuse holder.