Sign in to follow this  
bean

pics of the largest tractor with 3 lug hubs

bean

here are a few pics of the 310-8 with the 3 lug hubs. I also mounted the 23x8.50-12s on the old style 5" wheels. I did the same thing to the 22x7.50-12 turf tires that were on it originally. I then replaced the front tires/wheels with the narrow 854 wheels and tires, narrowing the width to 30.5" I also moved the hubs in to narrow the width, for a couple of reasons.

1. so I can get very close to the base of some large cedar trees on our lot. the tires were running over some of the low hanging, branches.

2. so I can put my row crops in closer together. with a 30" width, I can run the rows 20 24" o/c and still be able to cultivate between the plants later

. the early wheel horse tractors, with their narrow stance, seem to have been built with gardening in mind.

bowtiebutler956

Thanks for the pics bean. :text-datsphatyo: I personally like the wheels out a little more, but you set it up to serve a purpose, and it does look tuff! :thumbs::text-coolphotos:

Matt :flags-texas:

bean

it does look different than it did with the 7" wheels. I still have to get some tri rib tires for the front.

btw, I think I like the white wheels a little better than the silver.

what year did they switch colors? must have been in the early eighties.

Kelly

Looking at your pic from the front of the rim, you have the axle sticking out of the hub, you should have the hub flush with the end so the keyway lines up with the set screw, other wise you may have issues later tearing hubs or axles up.

The 8.5's look better in the pic than I thought they would on the narrow rims.

bean

Looking at your pic from the front of the rim, you have the axle sticking out of the hub, you should have the hub flush with the end so the keyway lines up with the set screw, other wise you may have issues later tearing hubs or axles up.

the axle does stick out, but the key is back in. it is a half moon shape, and is still completely back in the hub,

mounted on the 5" wheels, the 8.5 deestones are like a big 6-12. they are 23.5" tall and 6.5" wide

Lars

The set screw are not on the same place on the 3 bolt hub and the 5 bolt hub... ill think it is a bout 3/8 difference

i have cheked it because my plan was to use 5 bolt's on my 551, but im not sure might have to pull the hub so the axel goes in to the hub a bit to get the setscrew to hit the keyway right..

bean

The set screw are not on the same place on the 3 bolt hub and the 5 bolt hub... ill think it is a bout 3/8 difference

i have cheked it because my plan was to use 5 bolt's on my 551, but im not sure might have to pull the hub so the axel goes in to the hub a bit to get the setscrew to hit the keyway right..

do you have the 2 bolt hubs? my 310-8 hubs are 2 bolt. one secures it to the shaft, and the other secures the key.

the rj hubs are single bolt. I didn't notice anything that looked like a potential problem.

both hubs are 2.5" thick

Lars

do you have the 2 bolt hubs? my 310-8 hubs are 2 bolt. one secures it to the shaft, and the other secures the key.

the rj hubs are single bolt. I didn't notice anything that looked like a potential problem.

both hubs are 2.5" thick

yes i have the HD hub or 2 bolt.. width of the hub is the same. only the set screw that is different

i dont have pict of them both so u can see.

Callen

Is your set screw over top of the key?

bean

Is your set screw over top of the key?

only on the 2 bolt hubs. the single bolt hubs have the set screw off to the side

Lars

Here is a pict of the 3 bolt style

1 set screw on the key.. IMAG0788.jpg

bean

Here is a pict of the 3 bolt style

1 set screw on the key.. IMAG0788.jpg

I.ll have to look at mine again, I was sure they weren't over the keyway on the 3 lug hubs

Callen

My 701 and 702 has the hubs like Lars' pic. beans hub has the key way in the same location but the setscrew is not in the same location.

bean

that makes me wonder if wheel horse, later,put the bolt over the keyway to correct a problem. my hubs are from an rj