Sign in to follow this  
wh22366

Tractor Identification

wh22366

I'll be restoring an old Wheel Horse this winter but need help identifying the model. The previous owner is still looking for the paperwork from the time that her husband bought it new, but I thought I'd ask the knowledgable collectors on this site. The serial number sticker (#46309) on the RF frame rail is shown and there is no other ID plate that I can find. I'm guessing that it's a 550 from looking at a bunch ot online photos.

It's complete but has been repowered with a newer (Tecumseh) 6 horse engine. I has a 12 volt battery sitting in the box under the seat but no batt cables (might just have been used for additional weight). The dash ignition switch is a simple on-off and the drive pulley setup looks original (although it might have been configured for a starter with the original engine). There is no electric starter on the engine. Neither choke or throttle cables are hooked up.

I was lucky enough to get the original deck, dozer blade and single bottom plow with it. Looking forward to the restoration. Thanks for the help in advance.

post-7951-0-70428600-1341516686.jpg

post-7951-0-87327200-1341516742.jpg

post-7951-0-03541600-1341516753.jpg

post-7951-0-53624600-1341516763.jpg

CasualObserver

It's a 1961 551. It's the only tractor that had that battery box framed into the hood stand, and the only mid-engine model that used the two piece transmission.

wallfish

Jason is 100% correct, that tractor is a 551. If that's the original factory paint, It's in fantastic condition.

wh22366

Thanks gents. I just rolled the tractor out of a dry cellar where it's been for 25 years and never noticed the battery box.

jay in nc

clean it up , get it runing & take it to the w.h.c.c. show in 2013. it is one of the tractors of the year ,all 1961 models. nice tractor!

Wheel Crazy

Welcome TO The Site!! Looks like a great tractor!!

Kelly

Well first :WRS: second that is almost to nice to restore, I vote clean it up and see what you have, they are getting harder to find in orig. condition, but it is yours to do as you want, and would be a nice machine to start with.

• Like 1

gcole

I agree it's a nice original machine but it's your machine and your choice

speedyleedy

That's a great looking 551 you have there ! :)

wh22366

All of you, I have no problem with preserving the patina as is. I will go through it mechanically and am interested in at least exploring its return to electric start. What say you about the engine? I can make it look like the original (its crankcase is shaped to receive a starter) or chase down an original. Speedyleedy, could I get you to provide some detailed pictures of the area around the engine, battery, starter & solenoid wire routing?

Last of all, what do I type in for the model in the Toro parts site (https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro)? I've tried a few combos but get nowhere.

tunahead72

Last of all, what do I type in for the model in the Toro parts site (https://lookup3.toro...fm?xCaller=Toro)? I've tried a few combos but get nowhere.

You should be able to just type in "551" (no quotes) in the model number box, no serial number required. But ...

I've been having trouble getting the Toro site to work well for me lately -- is anybody else having problems there? It looks like you can't order directly from Toro any more, they force you to select a dealer first, and even after doing all that just now I never did get to see any parts diagrams. Plus, my favorite dealer isn't even listed as an "eligible" dealer, even though I just bought Wheel Horse parts from him about 10 days ago.

So, I would recommend PartsTree. com (very good diagrams) or some of the other online suppliers (there's a list somewhere here on RedSquare).

Very nice tractor you have there, have fun with it and :WRS: !

clyde

awesome tractor! :woohoo::WRS: and if i may put 2 cents in dont remove the serial number!

COMMANDO6

tunahead72, I've always had trouble with Toro's website. I type in the model number and it has the links for the parts for the transmission and for the tractor. I can click on the link for the transmission no problem and order parts, but when I click on the link for the tractor, it tells me the request can't be processed at this time. I get this for all the 60's and 70's tractors. I need parts that people say they get from Toro, but I can't get them.

Anyone else have ideas?

By the way, that's a great looking 551. Good luck with it.

tunahead72

... when I click on the link for the tractor, it tells me the request can't be processed at this time ...

This sounds like a temporary problem with Toro's software/server, or maybe with your computer. What happens if you try again later?