Sign in to follow this  
twinblade

Drive linkage diagram for a 71227

twinblade

The hydro goes forward but barely goes in reverse and the light does not engage. I reached underneath and could pull the linkage back further than the pedal would go in reverse. Seems to me it needs some adjustment.

Due to the limited visibility under the tractor, could someone provide me with the manual so I can see where the linkage adjustment point is? Thanks.

twinblade

Suggestions anyone?

SousaKerry

What tractor are we talking about here??

The model you have listed comes back as one of the dreaded MTD/Toro Wheel Horse killers that were shamefully branded by an evil corporation to cash in on a good name.

try this site for a manual for that piece of throw away imitation.

https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&cached=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=1&in_hi_userid=30166&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=225&PageID=30031#manualsResultPage

Sorry but there is not much love here for those tractors

twinblade

What tractor are we talking about here??

The model you have listed comes back as one of the dreaded MTD/Toro Wheel Horse killers that were shamefully branded by an evil corporation to cash in on a good name.

try this site for a manual for that piece of throw away imitation.

https://homeownersol...nualsResultPage

Sorry but there is not much love here for those tractors

It's the Toro version. 1638HXL.

I did not realize that was not the same Wheelhorse tractor as the ones talked about here. I'm surprised that did not come up on my first thread where people were actually helpful.

I guess I'll ask to be deleted from the forum and then petition my town to burn me at the stake for this blasphemy.

can whlvr

if you are still reading dont take one persons dislike for a tractor as all of our outlooks,its true that most of the discussion is about garden tractors but lawn tractor owners are just as welcome,i cant help you on the help needed but hope you hang around and maybe someone will have a manual

twinblade

if you are still reading dont take one persons dislike for a tractor as all of our outlooks,its true that most of the discussion is about garden tractors but lawn tractor owners are just as welcome,i cant help you on the help needed but hope you hang around and maybe someone will have a manual

Thank you can, that makes more sense for the longevity of the board and the community and I am glad to hear. I hope the occasional bump of a thread after days of no response is not against the rules.

For the record, I love the looks of the older models and would love even more to own one myself someday. For now, I'll continue working on this free Toro 1638HXL so my mom can mow her lawn again.

twinblade

By the way, I do have the manual from Toro's site and it unfortunately did not lend any help on the matter.

I have now traced the linkage all the way to the hydro. It does not appear to be externally bound, but I think I need to remove the seat deck to get a really good look. Tonight I used a screwdriver to put some more leverage right near the hydro and the tractor did move in reverse on its own but very slowly. I could not move the pivot in the reverse direction very much at all.

Also, the under seat second key interlock disable (which allows for reverse operation with the PTO engaged) does not cause the dash light to illuminate as the instructions say it should. I checked all the fuses and they all appear to be good. There does not appear to be an electrical component to the hydro, but maybe that would explain the transmission not shifting into reverse. By the way, without that interlock key turned, the manual says the engine would dry if you attempted to go into reverse with the PTO engaged. Nothing about flat out not being able to go into reverse at all which is my symptom.

twinblade

Progress... I drove the rider into my garage so I could work on it on the concrete instead of the grass. While inspecting the linkage further, I saw that this round rotating piece (similar to a pulley) when going in the forward direction was fine but at rest it was hitting the frame right rail. I unbolted the rear end (hydro/axle) from the frame and slid it a bit to the left. I was then able to move the linkage into reverse without the motor running of course.

I'm in the process of modifying the hydro mounts to shift the hydro the 1/4" I need bit to the left. I'll post back once I have it lined up and tested.

can whlvr

glad to hear you are figuring it out,if you got a garden tractor you would really like it,but for now its good to get your existing machine going

twinblade

Thanks can.

All done now. The axle actually had two sets of holes for mounting the frame, perhaps for a different set of brackets. It was on the center before so I shifted the right one to the right hole and the left I modified the bracket to allow for bolting to the prior right (center of axle) holes.

Drives great now in both forward and reverse!

can whlvr

:thumbs: