Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

Solutions for sloppy sears ss hoods(Wheel Horse of course)

HorseWhisperer

I have a GREAT running,mowing Sears SS and of course the poorly designed hood was bad when I purchased it.Thanks to racing_ny and a donor b80 hood and some incentives(barley soup in a can)I fabbed a solution.Now for some International red paint.I don't think the rest of the herd will notice!

post-6115-0-40582600-1341160346_thumb.jp

post-6115-0-20123400-1341160362.jpg

Kelly

My son has a SS16 just like that, it is a beast, good grill supports are hard to find for them, his has been fixed, we found a nice one on line but they wanted $300 for just the upper grille, he only paid $225 for the tractor.

HorseWhisperer

I was fortunate to find a great lower grill but the fiberglass nosepiece had a tree whack it.I believe this prototype trial is the way to go.It kinda fell together with the scrap I had lying around!Opens and closes perfect.Even gonna use the stock WH rubber tie downs.Kelly,these machines ARE beasts!

Sparky

Hmmm...I really expected something hideous, but it actually looks decent. Pop some headlights in it and away you go! Was that hood off a verticle shaft WH? Asking cause I see the louver vents on top.

Mike..........

312Hydro

Looks good and the fit is great too. :handgestures-thumbupright:

HorseWhisperer

Yeah Sparky,its a donated hood from a red iron junkyard without a bit of paint left on it.Thought Id practice with a useless ol bit of iron.Think its off a b80.Now I gotta find a good hood and copy the mock up.Although the louvers aren't a bad way to cool the big onan just way to crusty for a new rattle-can red paint job!

HorseWhisperer

I think it makes a beast of a machine look distinguished!Lol

varosd

Hood looks to be off one of the early 80's Black Hood series, they kinda grow on you. might be off of the Briggs B series like Mike posted. B-80's from the 70's were Kohler powered.

yes, keeping a Onan cool is vey important! note how Sears put a louver panel to vent the mighty Onan even with that minimal belt guard. were there some sort of removable side panels?

HorseWhisperer

There are Don but Im not versed in which ones to keep and which ones to toss yet.I can remember being a kid and throwing tin saying "what do ya need this for" like Clint Eastwood in Any Which Way but Loose~"Scrap the car Clyde"! Lol