Sign in to follow this  
Clippnalawn

suburban axle seals....obsolete?

Clippnalawn

I am rebuilding my 5010 Trans in my 1960 suburban 400 (btw the information on this sight is incredible!! Couldn't have done it with out the old posts and videos) I called my local toro dealer today to order the axle seals and he told me they had been superseded and that even the new number was now obsolete and couldn't help me. Does anyone know a source for the toro #1257 axle seal?

Trouty56

I have a file that mentions this....

1257 was superseded by 83-2840

83-2840 crosses to ---- CR9835 1" ID 1.4375" OD 0.25" Width

Here is the chart online.... http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/RJ_Manuals/Seals-Oil-WH.pdf

Welcome to the site...there are plenty of Suburban experts here to help. I am not one of them. :)

rmaynard

83-2840 crosses to ---- CR9835 1" ID 1.4375" OD 0.25" Width

And they are available from your local NAPA store. Just enter NOS 9835 in the NAPA site search.

:WRS:

rwilson

the ones at napa are different than the origionals. If i remember corectly the cr seals are the same size as the tube. they do not fit over the tube.

ol550

Here we go again. I had asked some time back if anyone had ever installed a 9835 seal in place of the

83-2840 and I was told that the seal spec may have changed. Doubt it. The 9835 has a OD of 1.441

and the tube measures 1.369. The inside diameter of the seal cannot be easily measured due to the

rolled edge. What may have changed is the seal construction, possible the 9853 seal may have been

made out of thicker metal and not needed the rolled edge and could have fit over the axle tube. One

thing I did check is that the CR 9853 interchanges with 4 National seal numbers. The only that can be

easily had is a 472311. Have not looked at one of them, but my bet is it will be the same construction

as the CR number. So the way I look at it is when the seal supply dries up the axles will leak till we can

find another way around this problem.

Anybody out there want to make a sleeve adapter to go over the tube that a seal can be installed in? :confusion-confused:

• Excellent 1

wallfish

Partstree still has them as being available. That's the good news.

The bad news is they are $19.73 each.

http://www.partstree...rts/?pn=83-2840

rmaynard

Mowpart.com has them for $14.99 less a 5% discount.

Clippnalawn

Thanks for your help guys!! I will give mowpart a shout.

hcminis

You might give Motion Industries a call. Tell them the measurements for the seal. Will be checking out the seals for a 1961 401 tomorrow or Friday. Those seals are no longer available which are 1232 and 1303. However, gave Motion Industries the dimensions and they had a seal for me to look at for sizing. Fortuneately I have one each of the original never installed seals that will make it easy for a comparison.