Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Draining the Hydro Transmission

rmaynard

I'm sure this has been covered, but I might as well dredge it up again.

I bought a 1972 Charger 10 at the WHCC Friday. Never having any experience with a hydrostatic transmission, I have decided to change the fluid and replace the filter. I know that this transmission calls for 5 quarts of Dexron II/III.

One thing that I noticed is that one of the axle seals has been leaking, so that is probably what accounts for the low fluid level on the dipstick. The level read right at the "L" mark.

So I removed the plug, opened the dipstick, and drained all the fluid that would come out on a level surface, then I removed the filter and emptied that into my waste container. I then jacked the front of the tractor up and drained a little more. After about one hour, I decided that that was all I was getting out. There is no hydro lift, so all the fluid is in the transmission.

Measuring the drained fluid, I got exactly 3-1/2 quarts.

My questions is this. Is 3-1/2 qts a normal amount of fluid when the dipstick reads "L", or is there still more fluid in there lurking about?

smoreau

About 1 qt stays in the pump.

rmaynard

Thanks Scott. I figured that along with what may have leaked, and what you can't get out, 3-1/2 quarts seems pretty good to me. Also, after removing the hub, I found that the woodruff key had eaten up the inside of the hub. Doesn't appear that the axle was damaged though. I am lucky enough to have a spare 1" hubs laying around. Now I am just waiting for NAPA to get in my oil seals.

Trouty56

My Charger has 1 1/8 inch axles. It is a 69 model.

I'll be dogged...72 Charger 10 has 1 inch axles....just looked at a parts list...

rmaynard

My Charger has 1 1/8 inch axles. It is a 69 model.

I'll be dogged...72 Charger 10 has 1 inch axles....just looked at a parts list...

Just goes to prove that newer ain't always better.
  • Like 1