Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

Need valve & head torque info for briggs L twins.

Fordiesel69

When doing the intake gaskets, the back of the valves & ports were really carboned up. I guess I would like to do a valve job even though it runs good.

So here are my questions:

1. Can I reuse the headgaskets?

2. Does anyone have the torque value and sequence for the heads?

3. If I lap the valves be hand just a slight bit, how do I adjust the valve lash? I read there is no adjustment other than grind the stems.

MarkPalmer

When doing the intake gaskets, the back of the valves & ports were really carboned up. I guess I would like to do a valve job even though it runs good.

So here are my questions:

1. Can I reuse the headgaskets?

2. Does anyone have the torque value and sequence for the heads?

3. If I lap the valves be hand just a slight bit, how do I adjust the valve lash? I read there is no adjustment other than grind the stems.

I would not try to reuse the head gaskets as they will most likely leave pieces of themselves behind on the block and heads if they have been on the engine for a long period of time.

Here is a manual to download for torques, etc : http://www.scribd.com/doc/81961369/271172-Twin-Cylinder-L-Head-Repair-Manual-BRIGGS-STRATTON

Valve lapping is a finishing process that is not intended to remove significant amounts of metal as valve and valve seat grinding will. Lapping your valves after cleanup shouldn't drastically alter the valve lash. If lash is too tight you grind the stem. Too loose you either grind the seat or replace the valve with a new one and grind its stem for the right clearance.

-Mark-

Fordiesel69

And of course, brand new intake gaskets just the other day..... Hopefully they are ok to reuse. I wish I made up my mind that day as it would have been easier.