Sign in to follow this  
dw753

Replacing Tiller Bearings on RT-366 ... Any advice

dw753

Hey guys like most i can tear things apart with the best of them but putting it back together is always a challenge:) anyway that said I have a RT366 Tiller that i need to replace item 5 on the part list or part number 6838 needle bearing. My question is do i have to pull the gear box apart and does anyone remember a good thread with pictures of someone doing it. Thanks in advance. And if you are reading this I like user "Sorekiwi" would like to get a longer mounting frame from a parts tiller if someone has one for sale of if you happen to have the needle bearings i need let me know also

thanks

DW

sorekiwi

I havent been inside my tiller yet, I will be going there but want to get it all operational on the tractor first.

According to the bearing cross reference thread in the "Transmission" section, WH # 6838 cross referances to Torrington B=2016. Here is a link to one: http://www.amazon.com/Koyo-Torrington-Complement-Rotational-20800lbf/dp/B006KT1EQE

There have been some threads showing the rebuild of a tiller, if I get time later I'll see if I can find one.

I havent had too much time to work on mine, I am just about ready to hang it on the back of the tractor. Depending on what drive set up you have, a later tiller frame might or might not work for you. I ended up having to shorten the late model frame I got from Kelly in order to use the "behind the rear axle" hitch instead of the "below the rear axle" hitch. Post up what you are trying to use and I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

As far as installing bearings in the tiller, yes it will need to be split. Installation of the bearing will be similar to installing one in a transmission. Take a look at some of the transmission rebuild threads to see how it is done.

kpinnc

The inside of the tiller is super-simple, and you may as well replace all the bearings while you are in there, and check the wear on the drive chain. TSC carries chain in the same size, which is what I used in mine and it works like a new one now a couple years afterward. My soil in the garden tears tillers up like crazy, but the WH tiller has stood up very well.

Just be careful driving out the bolts that hold the case halves together. They tend to rust in quite bad, and you don't want to crack the case. I ended up having to grind the heads off of a couple bolts to get the teardown going, but it worked.

Wished I had an electrolosis tank large enough for the whole thing, but it wouldn't fit.