Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

New this year: rabbits!

IthacaJeff

Okay all, got any tips on rabbits. We've noticed them in abundance this year, and just as our

strawberries were ready for picking, they were all gone. The deer fence obviously does not

work for wascally wabbits.

Tips? Oh, I've already missed with my Benjamin .22 pellet rifle. Okay, so not a real gun, but

it's put a nice hole in a varmint if I can hit it.

Jeff

Terry M

I have lots of those too, but they'r not as bad as the gophers. at least not lately. I'm not sure why but the rabbit numbers have twindled in my yard .I think just do to the fact that my kids are always in the back yard maybe has something to do with it. What I used in the past was some dry sprikle rodent/rabbit repellent from a local farm supply.

It stunk at first but it appeared to work rather well. kept them from chewing and eating the flowers and the cedar siding on the front of my garage. really!,it was that bad. I fenced in my back yard but they can run right threw that.

As far as strawberrys, my neighbors put some nylon netting and fencing around the strawberry garden and it keeps rabbits and birds out pretty well. maybe I'll take a picture of how they set-up their garden if you want.?

farmer

Get some practice in with your rifle, and start harvesting pie's and stew's from your garden. :twocents-twocents: :)

Prater

Our rabbits seem to be kept in check...

IMG_8561.jpg

Tap53

Ya Know you can make beer out of those rabbits.

Jim_M

I used to be plagued by rabbits too, couldn't find any way to keep them out of the garden. Now we have a Great Horned Owl, several hawks and lots of coyotes and the rabbits are no longer a problem.

IthacaJeff

I haven't seen the usual contingent of hawks flying above. Maybe that has something to do with it. Coyotes seem

quiet as well. Hmmmmm. . .

Jeff

COMMANDO1

Get youself a couple of outside cats.....the take care of moles, rabbits, squirrels and so on. the only peoblem i have is with racoons, cats wont touch them. Then the pellet rifle comes in. I have a flashlight and laser on it.

6wheeler

Major problems with rabbits here as well. I thought I exterminated all of them but when all the farmers around here started removing all the woodlots and line fences I guess they had to move somewhere. So, 1 box of .410 shells = 19 rabbits (so far) :baseball: . Also, I don't know if you can shoot a .22 where you are but, if you can? get some spreads for it. They come in magnum now for L.R. If you can't, you may want to try sprinkling chili powder on and around your plants generously. Seems the little buggers don't care for chili. :teasing-poke: . Then Practice-Practice- Practice with your pellet gun. Or you could put a horned owl decoy in your yard, move it around from time to time. It works for squirrels too. Pat