fourwheels0

c-81 cracked cylinder (for tunahead72)

fourwheels0

here's the pics of the cylinder and oil leak

DSCN3730.jpg

DSCN3727.jpg

DSCN3732.jpg

MarkPalmer

Had the engine been previously rebored? Looks like fairly recent deglazing cross-hatches on the cylinder. Unfortunately the block has to be replaced. :tools-wrench:

-Mark-

fourwheels0

mark this is from a thread i started last year on the old forum.

tunahead72 wanted to see pics of the crack so i re posted them for him.

ya the motor had just been rebuilt. but it looks like they dropped it while rebuilding.

the back of the block had a huge crack in it and the rod was in backwards,silicone everywhere ect.

i think they just did a quick job just so the motor would run and sell it.

i ended up getting another block and rebuildt it correctly lol.

MarkPalmer

I found the picture ironic as last week I picked an old 6 HP Tecumseh out of a trash pile with a centrifugal clutch that must have been off a go-cart or minibike. Unfortunately my "prize" had a crack in the bore between the cooling fins very similar to the one in that picture except the old Tec was just plain worn out. At least I got a centrifugal clutch out of the haul :razz:

-Mark-

fourwheels0

here's the crack in the back of the block.

you couldn't see it until you had the starter off.

DSCN3814-1.jpg

tunahead72

Just to add a little more background to what Mike (fourwheels0) has already said...

Mike started a thread early in his career at RedSquare, back around May or June of 2011, about a cracked cylinder and oil leak in a Kohler K-series engine, I believe in his C-81.

I've seen references to it, but I can't find the actual thread anywhere, and I asked Mike if he knew where it was. Neither one of us has been able to find the original thread, and it looks like it might have been one of those lost in the transition from the "old" RS to the "new", but he was kind enough to dig up some of his original photos and post them here for me.

The reason I asked is that I just had the head off one of my K241 engines, and I think I'm seeing something similar. And now that I've seen these photos, I have this sinking feeling, probably the same one that Mike felt when he realized what his crack and leak meant...

I'll start my own thread soon, as soon as I feel up to dealing with the whole situation. :disgust:

In the meantime, if anybody knows where that original thread might be, or has a printout or something, I know I'd appreciate seeing it again.

And thanks to Mike for helping me out! :handgestures-thumbup:

Tap53

fourwheels0,

What are you going to do with the cracked block ???

Tim

fourwheels0

tap53 that block is long gone last year.

Tap53

Okey Dokey,

Thanks...