Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Question about Suburban 550

Suburban 550

Does anyone know whether there were a limited number of 550's ever produced or did alot of the tractors not survive. After looking around at the Wheel Horse Show I saw alot of 400's and 551's but only two other 550's other than mine that were rough and for sale. Being mine is the only one in the picture gallery has me wondering if there are many more of these little tractors around. Ray

WheelHorse_of_course

Welllll

My Grandpop had one (purchased new) which is still in the family. My brother has it now.

DMESS

I agree the 550 tends to be a little less common than say the 400, 401 and 551. Might be the fact that it was the first model with standard electric start and the price was higher because of this. The Kohlers certainly did last longer, BUT there are a heck of a lot of 551's out there so that doesn't really seem to be the sole reason. I'd say it just took the e-start model awhile to catch on. Maybe production was lower because of this? The 400 was more like an update of the RJ-58/59 and lower priced. It was probably a sure bet from a production standpoint.

That's my take. B)

TT

Buyers may have also been leary of the Lauson engine, which made it's WH debut on the 550.

Once the people started hearing about them, and seeing them around and in use, it might have prompted more purchases the following year. B)

DMESS

And they certainly had good reason to be leary! B)

Seriously, that is another good point. It was the first to utilize these, uh, fine engines.

TT

and here's another though......

Since the Lauson engine had a much shorter lifespan than the Kohler, there's a chance that a lot of 550's were repowered. If the toolbox got lost along the way, it would be tough to identify the original formation.

(meaning: some of the tractors that are labeled as 400's may actually be "stripped down" 550's)

BPjunk

Ray,

Both of the replys have good points why you do not find many model 550's.

A lot of buyers would purchase the lower HP engine tractor not because of the brand manufacture but because if you could do the same amount of work with a 4 HP tractor why spend the money for the higher HP model.

And since the electric start was the only physical difference when the Lauson/Tecumseh with cast aluminum block wore out the tractor would get repowered by a Kohler K-91 thus the wiring and starting solenoid .... got lost. <_<

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

WheelHorse_of_course

wellllllll

The Lauson on my grandpop's 550 was the reason it gort the nickname "the little b@astard". That engine was a bear to start. So usually the basttery would die and then you were stuck pulling and pulling.

When that engine died in about 1973 the WH dealer replaced it with a tecumseh and that was easy to start (though by then the name had stuck) I think it is still running today.

sorekiwi

wellllllll

The Lauson on my grandpop's 550 was the reason it gort the nickname "the little b@astard". That engine was a bear to start. So usually the basttery would die and then you were stuck pulling and pulling.

When that engine died in about 1973 the WH dealer replaced it with a tecumseh and that was easy to start (though by then the name had stuck) I think it is still running today.

I think there's something wrong with the Tecumseh on my 502 - it started on the second pull after the winter this year....

Suburban 550

Thanks guys, everything you said makes alot of sense. Alot of them could have been repowered with a 4 H.P. Kohler and became 400's. I thought about doing that myself when I first bought mine because engine smoked really bad. I was lucky to find someone to overhaul the Lauson which really runs good and starts really easy. I was just wondering if anyone knew how many 550's were ever produced.

BPjunk

When the early serial numbers were entered into the journel each model was written in a different color ink. B) One would have to count up all the units made in a certain color ink then add the numbers up. B) From what I have been told the entries were not easy to under stand as I do not think there was a color code guide ....... but with time it could be figured out. :whistle:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

HorseFixer

Ray I dunno :whistle: about how many, but all I can say it was a pleasure seeing yours each day next to mine! B) I was hoping some of that shiney paint would jump over on mine! B) I Would deffinatley like to find one someday!

:banana: ROUNDHOODS ROCK! :banana:

Duke