Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Need help with Blueberries

sorekiwi

Wondering if someone can help me save a sickly Blueberry bush.

IMG_3699.jpg

I planted these two Blueberry bushes 3 years ago. When planted they were about the same size, and both came from the same supplier. A couple of days after I planted them, the deer chewed on the one on the left. It lived but obviously never fully recovered.

As well as it being a lot smaller than the other one, its color has always been more yellow. The smaller one is actually planted in better soil, there seems to be more clay in the soil around the bigger one. Both have been mulched the same way, and watered the same.

Both plants have a pretty good yield of berries this year.

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

(I included a handy object in the photographs to give an idea of scale!!)

Any suggestions on what I can do to help out the smaller, sickly one?

Jake Kuhn

You should move the smaller bush into the clay ground. Blueberries grow much better when they are planted in clay. My family has about 20 acres of blueberries. Jake

AMC RULES

Change your brand of beer, that buttwiper is enough to make anyone sick. LOL.

Maybe that's a Heineken bush you got there Kiwi. :ychain:

• Like 1

sorekiwi

You should move the smaller bush into the clay ground. Blueberries grow much better when they are planted in clay. My family has about 20 acres of blueberries. Jake

OK, thanks for that Jake. Should I move it now? or wait for cooler weather?

Craig, funny you mention Heinekin, someone dropped off a 6 pack last night. I dont actually believe how popular it is in the US. In the early 90's I was working as a bartender in the UK for a while. Back then Heinekin was the beer you started to drink when you needed to sober up!

AMC RULES

...Heinekin was the beer you started to drink when you needed to sober up!

:ROTF:

GlenPettit

Here in Michigan Blueberry Farms are always located on moist Peat soils, Highbush blueberries need moisture, sun, loose acid soil and re considered hungry plants.

For my 12 plants, I had to box them in, use .5x1" wire sides and fish-line on top for the birds . . . EVERYTHING likes to eat blueberries. My soil in there is 50% peat and 50% good black soil with a thick mulch on top, drip irrigation, I add acid, and use an acid fertilizer. Crop is just starting to come in. Good Luck

DSCN0093.jpg

I think your bushes need more food

Jake Kuhn

OK, thanks for that Jake. Should I move it now? or wait for cooler weather?

It really is up to you. But maybe wait until your berries come in just in case moving it could effect them and then you have no berries. Jake