Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Crazy

Diesel Motors

Wheel Crazy

Has anyone put a diesel motor in a Wheel Horse? What brand diesel motors would fit on a Wheel Horse frame? Thanks!!

Jim_M

I have a 654 with a 4 horse Carroll Stream engine, it's a Yanmar clone and a 520H with a 13 horse Carroll Stream. The exhaust had to be modified but everything else fits just fine.

littleredrider

I got a 10 horse diesel on a frankentractor. The frame is a 520, 8-speed rear, 1045 fenders/seat, etc etc. Motor has tremendous torque, haven't really pulled much, but with a couple hundred pounds in the wagon, it pulls a 45 degree hill just about idle.

2150705640043830172S600x600Q85.jpg

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A 10 HORSE POWER CARROL STREAM DIESEL. IT HAS MORE POWER THAN A 20 H/P GAS ENGINE. IT IS A DROP IN IN MY 417-8 WHEEL HORSE. I HAVE HAD IT FOR 3 YEARS NOW. I WILL HAVE IT AT THE BIG SHOW IN PA. RUS

Jim_M

Here's a link to the Carroll Stream Website. I don't see either of my engines, they may not make them anymore, but there is a 6 horse and a 10 horse and either of them would fit in a Wheel Horse pretty easily.

http://www.carrollstream.com/category_s/36.htm

boovuc

I saw the specs on both the 6 and 10 HP motors but they aren't an inch and an 1/8th diameter shaft and the shaft isn't long enough to accept a WH PTO. I'll assume that basically with these motors, you lose the functionality of the PTO?

varosd

Did you see the Carroll Stream 20 hp V-twin desiel engine that is coming out Wow! but what about the PTO?

littleredrider

I never installed mine, ATT I didn't have any implements needing the PTO. But there is folks on here that used the PTO. I bought a sleeve to use the 1 1/8" PTO on the 1" shaft. If you don't want to use that, get a pulley for 1" and the bushing. I think I got mine off a B80 or similar.

sorekiwi

Great write up (as always!) by Steve on his conversion here:

Lots of pictures and video too.

Jim_M

The 654 never had a pto, so it was not a problem. The 520-H has an adapter and has a pto but I don't need it, it's my loader tractor, I leave the pto engaged all the time anyway.

wh-jason

heres the link to thread on my diesel, you can use a clutch from about any :wh: that has an 8hp kohler and as far as i know all of them that had a briggs were 1" shaft.