Sign in to follow this  
WVMountainMan

Deck Not Cutting Even

can whlvr

the deck with the welded steel bar was from around 78,i have one from a c101 and its still very solid and straight,but in deep grass the bar collects grass,i carry a stick to clear it on the move,ive retired it to save it for a rainy day,i was told that its important to have the belt gaurds as they add some strength,i only have 2 decks with them and the rest are bare

WVMountainMan

Well... I'm In the process of switching from a 42" deck to a 48"deck as we speak...Brand new shell and I am online ordering the parts that I need...and I am having a hard time finding the gauge assembly for this 48" deck. Says that it is discontinued... Where might a feller look to find one of these..and what is the best online site to order parts from for our beloved units...?

can whlvr

i dont own a 48,like too one day,but i wonder if your fabricator buddie could alter the 42,maybe it just needs to be lenghtened with some round stock,but thats only if the 2 units run similar gauge stuff,and i use my local dealer for some parts,and a good bearing shop for other stuff,other guys in the states will be able to direct you

WVMountainMan

Indeed that is a possibility canwhlvr..we have looked at it and the option exists....but surely there is a 48 inch gauge assy floating around down here somewhere...we shall see..thanks alot for the shout back ... take care

MalMac

I just looked up the 48" Gage assembly on the a couple of different sites and it say it's still available. Now maybe these sites have not been updated. The site that I have used alot is Pat's small engine they show 48" still available. Look for the one that comes from the mid 1990's on up. The last I knew you could still buy the deck new from Toro. I have not had to buy any new 48" deck stuff for awhile maybe things have changed.

WVMountainMan

Roger that MalMac...the 05-48MS02 on the Toro site and others indicates the assembly is discontinued and suggests contacting my local Toro rep for help...went there yesterday and left frustrated as they definitely are not the quickest minnows in the creek....what are some Model numbers that I may be able to use to look up the mid 90's 48" decks..

WVMountainMan

MalMac...thanks again for your help... I found the right model number for a 95, 48" deck. Model Number 78360. All the sites do have the gauge assembly..even Toro. The quadrant is on the port side on this one and it's starboard on my 42" which is no big deal I guess...Pat's Small Engine has the parts and they are quite a bit less expensive than Toro...any major difference in the parts and service at Pat's compared to Toro's online listings?

MalMac

I have not notice any difference. Service was not bad. Shipping times have been what you would call regular speed. If you have any questions on things give them a call. I know I am not the brightest bulb in the box but one thing I have learned over the past few years especially since Toro dropped Wheel Horse, is a lot of the Toro dealers go by just what the computer says. They don't use any common sense. When a part says it's discontinued they will say sorry. If they would just show alittle fortitude and think about the last tractor they produced used the same part that has been used for the last 30 years they can probably still get it.

With the use of some of the brighter minds on this forum ( me not being one of them) and some common sense of the knowledge of Wheel Horse and the parts they were built with the tractors that Mr. Pond and his father built will survive. Toro did a good job with parts up until they decided they had enough. Now it seems to me it's getting to be a struggle at times with them.

WVMountainMan

MalMac...It is indeed sad and nearly impossible to find someone who is supposed to know about customer service and have a reasonable amount of knowledge about the product they are getting paid to market these days. They are few and far between it seems. I have called Toro twice and both times were a complete waste of my time. I think that anyone that professes to sell Wheel Horse parts should be made to join Red Square and spend at least a hour a day reading what is on here. If it weren't for people like yourself who take the time to help people like me I don't know what would happen. After buying another 312-8, checking with Toro...Pat's...Part's Tree.. and the local authorized Wheel Horse fixer, I have been able to round up everything that I think I need to build this 48" deck. Waiting on the parts as we speak...It should be a dandy but with a greenhorn like me on the job...it should be interesting.