Sign in to follow this  
JamesBe1

Applying Decals

JamesBe1

I got my decal today from Terry. Very nice work! Woohoo!

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/techniques for applying the decals? I have never had much luck getting them straight, so before I even attempt it, I thought I would reach out and see if anyone had a trick for keeping them straight and in the proper places.

Thanx,

James

jay in nc

mark where you want it with a grease pencil, wet the surface with water & ivory soap , position the decal, squeege the decal flat ,when the water dries your done. jay

AMC RULES

Helps to have your calibrated eyeballs on before application Jim.

bowtiebutler956

Like Jay said, soapy water. I usually just mix up som dish detergent, and water in a spray bottle. This allows you to get them positioned properly with out them sticking solid as soon as they touch the surface. Once positioned, I use a little plastic scrapper like is used for Bondo to push the air bubbles out from underneath the decals. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

JamesBe1

I wasn't aware of the soapy water trick. I guess accounts for mine looking like I threw them at the tractor from across the barn.

I'll post some pics when I get the courage to put them on.

Martin

heres how i did it for my hydro decal install.....

ignore the sanding the powdercoat and cutting out the holes at the end, but the rest of it is fairly generic to applying them....

first i wet sanded the powdercoat on the decal side of the plate to try and flatten all the rust pitting, then i got my trusty squeegee tool, some window cleaner and the decal for the install.....

IMG_0892.jpg

sprayed both the plate and decal back side with window cleaner and applied the decal.

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

once positioned central, then you need to squeegee all the window cleaner out from between the decal and plate. working from the center out push all the bubbles and window cleaner to the edges. watch that you dont push too hard and scratch the decal surface.

IMG_0895.jpg

cut out the center piece and bolt holes when decal is dry and install on tractor.....

IMG_0897.jpg

JamesBe1

Thankyou Martin! A picture is worth a thousand words.

My work is not half as good as yours, but at least I can get this part right (or less wrong) with your help.

James

Martin

this method works real good for getting them where you want them as you have plenty of time to fine tune the position. sometimes the liquid works against you for a little bit as the decal will continue to move around until you break that liquid 'barrier' with the continual squeegy action, and the decal starts to stick in position. i like doing it this way because if you find for some reason there is some junk between the decal and tractor surface you can easily peel it back to remove the culprit before the adhesive starts to stick. once it gets sticky your time has run out.......

JackC

Thanks for the "how to".

I have been wondering how to get them positioned properly.

COMMANDO6

Yeah, I was wondering too. But I guess it'll be just like I do on plastic model cars.

JamesBe1

I am relieved to see that I was not the only one who didn't know.