Sign in to follow this  
TT

Gutbrod Tractors

TT

I was blundering around the internet looking for non-USA Wheel Horses and decided to dig up some Gutbrod 2350D / 2400 pictures for here at RedSquare.

Nothing overly exciting was found except a few good pictures. B)

a10e_3.jpg

9e58_3.jpg

a3ee_3.jpg

1172387379-10667-1994-3.jpg

1172387379-10667-1994-1.jpg

50131-99829.jpg

004842486-0.jpg

aho18-1.jpg

T-Mo

I found the website dedicated to the D-series and downloaded some of Gutbrod's manuals, brochures, etc. They're in German, so don't ask me why I downloaded them - I'm definitely not reading the articles. B)

T-Mo

Let's see if this works:

http://freepdfhosting.com/ac46977f05.pdf

http://freepdfhosting.com/3478bc4cff.pdf

http://freepdfhosting.com/98feb899fe.pdf

These will only be here for a short while (I need to find a better pdf hosting site) so if you want to save these, now is the time.

DMESS

So how is "GUTBROD" pronounced? B)

I find the full road lighting equipment to be interesting. Equipped just like a large farm tractor is here in the states with flashers and turn signals. A street legal Wheel Horse!

I like the third one pictured with the skid loader cleats and the glass cab. NICE! The first one, however, looks mint! :whistle:

TT

I say it like it looks. (in German, of course.) GOOT - BRAWD. B)

The first one is currently on ebay (Germany) and is a "real peach".

Here's the LINK.

Here's a picture of a 2500:

Gutbrod_2500.jpg

A little more red paint and the "proper" decals, and guess what it would look like. :whistle:

DMESS

My wife is a "goot brawd". She cooks, cleans every once in awhile, keeps the kid from driving me insane and so forth! B)

Nick

Tried the dictionary.com translator on the ebay auction again. B)

I sell my maintained tractor collection because of task of hobby.

To the sale momentarily an operator's cab of a Gutbrod 2400 stands in very good condition without damages note 2

Ex-factory price was times 2165 DM

The article is sold by private! With the delivery of a requirement you explain yourselves expressly in agreement to do without you which is entitled the warranty and guarantee with secondhand merchandizes completely. Do not offer, if you do not agree with it. Cash payment with delivery was agreed upon at the latest 7 days after auction end if nothing else

Inspection after date arrangement, dispatch possible.

Location 25495 in close proximity to Hamburg

In a further offer I have still another Hako 2000V with mower mechanism

I like this part best, US or germany we dont want to sell too cheap! I take it if she dont meet his price he will pull the auction and relist in the autum. :whistle:

There probably momentarily no realistic price to conditions does not come I the auction at 7 o'clock to terminate prematurely tomorrow I a minimum price deposited there and in the autumn again adjusting

DMESS

Looks like these proud machines had about the same fate as our Horses. Well, worse I guess! Follow the link and view the current Gutbrod "tractors".

MTD Europe!

wh500special

My wife is a "goot brawd". She cooks, cleans every once in awhile, keeps the kid from driving me insane and so forth! B)

I dare you to call her that!

DMESS

I'll do that when she gets home! :whistle:

How about those MTD jewels? Europe gets the junk too! B)

wh500special

I've been watching those German eBay autions for a few years and have seen some interesting iterations of these things. They were pretty clearly used as farm tractors over there and it seems the majority I've seen did not have mower decks.

While generally listed as Gutbrods, they do show up from time to time as both "minischleppers" and "kommunlatraktors" too. i think the latter two names were "model names" and/or generic descriptors and sometimes the sellers list only one or the other.

It seems that most are diesel engined machines. and a few 4wds pop up now and again too.

Looks like they almost all used that plastic (NOT fiberglass) rear fender too. Seems that most have the small front fenders as well.

Never seen a single one with the deck that was used in the US. As we all know by now, the US spec deck was a 60" John Deere deck robbed from the model 400 tractor. Aside from the hangers, virtually everything friom these decks else will exchange b/t the two tractors.

I remember a few years ago talking to Ed Cole from Toro at length about these tractors. Apparently the tractor design was primarilly penned by Gutbrod but some WH specifications were incorportated (engine power and source, some subcomponents) and essentially the same tractors were sold in Europe for a few years before evolution began over there. WH took care of all implements for US consumption domestically.

I'm guessing the Renault engine was chosen since it was already in widespread US use in Forklifts, tow motors, and commercial mowers (Toro used the engine in some Groundsmasters). And, perhaps as early as the mid 70's there might have been a link between American Motors Corp and Renault (I am speculating here). As far as I know, the engine was never used in any automobile sold in the US...it was a Renault industrial/commercial engine afterall. In most cases though, the block used in the D250 version is different than in other applications but I guess internals would be the same.

In the US, we only received three importations of the D250 even though they remained "available" into the early 80's. The first allotment of 1000 came over the '76. Then 500 each came in 78 and 79.

So it was a German tractor with a French engine, German transaxle, and Italian steering system sold in the US B) Globalization was alive and well even then I guess.

The 78/79 models are mechanical twins with improved transaxle mounting (for better durability), improved shifters, and two way hydraulics. The electrical system was also revamped with an alternator and different switches. The 76's had, of course, one-way hydraulics, generators, and the first rev design on the transaxle mounts.

The 76's were especially prone to transaxle problems but the 78/79 revision largely took care of that dreaded issue (which lead to total transaxle failure in many cases). For the uninitated, the fastest way to discern a 76 from a later version is the lack of the 4 hydraulic couplers under the grill or by looking at the model numbers (which I don't have ahandy right now).

i'v said this before, but the D250 was way ahead of its time. Had it not been so darned expensive and had it been updated a little they might have really taken off in popularity. As it was many were not sold until the early 80's and Wh really had to subsidize parking them in dealer showrooms. Seems like they also pushed them heavily - in the later years - to the commercial/rental market instead of to the "estate" market just to get rid of them.

Beautiful machines though. And very quiet...unlike myself.

Danke,

Steve

wh500special

MTD is out to take over the world i think. Even Toro's newest offerings are now sourced from that place. They already got Cub Cadet , Troybilt, and Bolens names too...

THAT's a topic that could stir the pot.

I guess the demand just isn't there anymore for a durable garden tractor and their economy of scale keeps almost everybody else out of the inexpensive lawn tractor arena.

Geez, who's left other than MTD? Deere makes their own el cheapos I think, and Sears comes from Husqvarna, but is anybody else still in the low-priced game?

wh500special

I find the full road lighting equipment to be interesting. Equipped just like a large farm tractor is here in the states with flashers and turn signals. A street legal Wheel Horse!

Last thing (for now), I promise...

The WH D250's were equipped with parking lights integrated into the headlight housing in addition to the headlamp and tail lamps.

They merely lacked the flashers!

And, they had a horn too.

Trivia - what other series of tractors from WH came equipped with a factory horn?

Steve

TT

Trivia - what other series of tractors from WH came equipped with a factory horn?

Steve

Gee, Steve.....

I'll bet you have one of them, and it can mow in tight circles, right? B)

DMESS

I seem to recall the big "Z's" having the ability to go "beep beep"!

part #116749 B)

wh500special

Yup. You guys are a sharp bunch.

The horn on the Z's serves as the overheat warning, but it can be activated by the push of a button too. Nice for scaring the dog out of the way...

My incessant prattling on about my Z might be coming to an end...left transmission blew last week, so I am back to conventional tractors for a while.

Bummer.

DMESS

The weak link of both sizes of Z's. 600's were the same way. Did you price it? LOL B)