BOWTIE

LOOKED AT 91 520H TODAY WITH A LX790 ONAN?

BOWTIE

I WENT TO A AUCTION TODAY. I BID ON A 91 520H TRACTOR TODAY WITH 815 HRS 60" DECK. ORIGINAL OWNER HAS PASSED AWAY. THE MOTOR WAS LINAMAR LX790 10955H. WHEN DID ONAN SELL TO CUMMINS AND MOVE TO CANADA FOR MANUFACTURING THIS ENGINE? I THII DIDN'T WIN THE TRACTOR I BID TO $875 AND QUIT. IT SOLD FOR $900. TRACTOR RAN GREAT AND HAD A NICE DECK. THE HOOD WAS CRUNCHED IN THE FRONT,TACH DIDN'T WORK ,TIRES HAD SOME DRY ROT AND THE TRACTORS FRAME FOR THE FRONT SEAT MOUNT WAS CRACKED.

post-4576-0-69722800-1339294664.jpg

• Like 2

MarkPalmer

Not that Onan were bad small engines, actually they were excellent but they haven't been made anywhere by anbody for several years, and their parts are getting very expensive and as many of the engines are getting in to their autumn years this can present some major repair costs if the engine has high hours or was poorly manitained. That being to the tune that $900.00 IMHO was too much money for that tractor in fair condition when taking the Onan engine in to consideration.

-Mark-

• Like 1

varosd

http://www.cumminsonan.com/

Their website states Onan was bought by Cummins in 1986. a lot of the engines were put into generators.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice lookin' machine though, maybe next time.

I didn't know that Cummins bought out Onan, thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Foozerush

When I ordered throttle linkage parts for my 416-8 the parts came in Cummings envelopes.....

• Like 1

squonk

We got 2 Onan gen sets at work powered by Cummins inline 6's. 1 diesel 1 nat gas. We got rid of a Onan with a Ford V-8 on Nat gas too.

leeave96

I think Onan went in two directions when they went out of business. The Performer engines went to Linamar in Canada and the Onan generator name and generator power business went to Cummins. Linamar only lasted a year or two. I think emissions killed the Performer and Linamar. The only Onan engines made today are other brand engines, labeled as Onan.

The Linamar engine in the 520H you looked at was a repower.

Someone correct me - but that's what I think I know.

Bill

• Like 1

BOWTIE

THE 520H HAD A REPLACEMENT MOTOR FOR SURE. IT WAS DATED 10 MONTH OF 2004. IT WAS A EXACT REPLACEMENT. THE ONLY WAY I KNEW IT WAS CHANGED IT BY THE ID TAG. LINAMAR LX790 10955H, MADE IN CANADA SERIAL 004XXXXXXXX?. I BELIEVE THE LX790 WAS MADE FROM 1999-2006?

BOWTIE

3Six

Was the Linamar LX790 a good engine?

can whlvr

we have a Linamar and an onan both on ride on power trowels,they are exactly the same,part for part