dsholler

Strange happenings in PTO-land

dsholler

Thanks Don. That is perfect.

I will order the parts tomorrow.

Dan

dsholler

Um.. any of you folks have any brilliant ideas about getting the old needle bearing out of the pulley? aside from a few scratches on the thing, and a bit of wear on the butt end of my screwdriver.. I cannot seem to get it to budge..

I assume the flange that the front bearing rests against is part of the pulley and cannot be moved (otherwise, I could get my improvised press tool (the threaded rod and washers) into there. )

dsholler

Thanks everyone for your help. PTO is rebuilt with new bearings, oil seal, race and stub shaft. Clutch plate has been degreased and it works. I managed to this (mostly) myself (I had an auto mechanic who works on my car help me get the old bearing out).. It is on and the mower works much better than it used to.. I have a feeling that it may have been slipping the whole time, and I did not really notice it. either that or putting the belt on the inner pulley makes that much of a difference.

The only fly in the ointment is that the PTO still gets pretty hot... but given it is full of new parts, I am just going to keep my eye on it and see if that matters.

• Like 1