Sign in to follow this  
shootinok

Why no love for the Briggs?

Save Old Iron

The best part about a Briggs...when they do blow up they are cheap to replace! ROFL!!

I'll add a comment to the "best part of a Briggs" statement.

Equipment with a blown INTEK can be had for a song. Once a hole gets punched in the block due to owner neglect, the item quickly hits Craigslist.

Last fall I picked up a Little Wonder blower and and a pull behind Track Vac for $100 each. Both had blown Inteck 6 hp's. Both owners admitted to "someone forgot to check the oil".

Another $200 for replacement engines will net me $2000 worth of lawn equipment I would otherwise not be able to justify paying for. The 3 or 4 times I will use the blower in the spring and fall will dictate an offshore clone replacement engine for $100.

So in closing, a tip of my hat to those who don't do regular maintenance. Gotta go ! Time to check Craigslist for another bargain.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

I also agree the 16HP twin I have in the GT-1642 has never been touched other than a new bendix kit / gear for the starter. Never even a carb cleaning.........

To this day it does not burn oil or knock. It has outlasted all of the K series we have owned. Kohler is still my favorite for rebuilding / working on. Their carbs are just the best once adjusted properly.

I have always hated tecumseh. They do NOT handle overspeed at all. Out pops the rod, and when that happens 9/10 times the block is shot. As for their carburetors, total junk. Brand new carbs still don;t run perfect......

MarkPalmer

I have come across quite a few Cub 582's people had with the original 16 horse Briggs twin, and all of them ran very well and likely outlasted the not-so-great Kohler KT17 Series I twins that were put in thier bigger brothers as new. I'm sort of indifferent towards Briggs, neither like nor hate them in general.

-Mark-

COMMANDO6

Well, the Teccy in mine runs perfectly, and it gets the job done. And my dad has a 20+ year old Briggs generator that always fires on the first pull.

But I can't really have an opinion because I haven't used a Kohler.

• Like 1

Will G

For as long as I can remember, my dad had always had Briggs's on his mowers and they always ran just fine and got the job done. He bought a brand new Toro Timecutter in 04 or 05 and it came with a 17.5 hp Briggs ELS OHV single that lasted quite a few years until it had so much blow-by that oil mist was coming out of the fuel pump vent due to worn out rings from the air filter design being crap. He replaced that with a 12.5 Kohler Command OHV off a John Deere STX-38 that his friend gave to him. Ran well and had enough torque to run a 42 inch deck, 2 hydros and a blower. Last year I replaced the coil on it as it died with no spark. Now it won't start and everything checks out OK. However a neighbor of ours gave us his worn out AYP made Craftsman with a 13 hp I/C Gold Briggs which runs perfect. The 11 hp Briggs on my 79 C-111 may have an aluminum bore but it runs perfect and doesn't smoke at all. I also have an 81 Snapper RER Forrest Gump mower with an 11 hp Briggs that will sit for a couple years at a time and fire right up with fresh gas and a freshly charged battery. I have had a good experience with Briggs motors and not so good luck with Kohlers and Teccys

Ken B

I'm a big fan of Briggs motors. Most times even with just a little care they run very smooth and last a very long time. I have run quite a few of them on my Old Allis Chalmers B-10's and Simplicity Landlords of the sixties and they all ran fantastic! None of them were rebuilt and they had PLENTY of hours on them.

meadowfield

I ran a Briggs 11hp in my Dixon ZTR for 30 years before finally when I went up a steep slope oil would run past the oil ring and it would smoke.

That thing worked darn hard on a ZTR with 42" deck, it had regular oil changes and one bendix gear before it was cheaper(lazier) to buy a replacement engine.

After 3 years left in the garden as scrap we bought some fresh rings and gaskets and a card rebuilb kit and the thing runs as good as new, starting almost instantly.

I certainly love the old Briggs ! interestingly across the forums there are as many folks who claim kohlers are junk!!! :)

the only thing I'd say is that if a 14hp kohler is thirsty - an 11hp briggs is something else :twocents-02cents: