Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

K341 Carb problem

GlenPettit

Can't keep my C-160 (1975) Heavy-weighted Roto-tilling tractor going;

• Tank & gas line very clean, new gas filter, new plug, air filter clean, fresh 89º gas,

• Starter fluid will get it started for 5-10 seconds, then stalls,

• Several times I've got it going and tilled for 4-5 minutes, but the Choke & Throttle levers must stay at 50%,

or half-open, even a minor change and the engine stalls out.

• Looks like it's a Kohler 'Adjustable Jet Carburetor' (sorry for the bad picture), trying to set it like the manual

says: (Low idle 2.5 turns open, High idle 3.5 turns open) [page 6.4]. But there are three adjustments:

Top Main Fuel, side center Idle Speed, and lower side Idle Fuel.

• Which ones do I set for Low Idle and which for High idle? Very open to any suggestions = Tilling time.

DSCN0086.jpg

Martin

glen,

black circle (high idle)

blue star (low idle)

idle speed is the red square.......(hey that sounds familiar....)

carb.jpg

Martin

if the mixtures (hi and low idle) are out you might just fix it with a simple adjustment. if that doesnt fix it, i think you may have a fuel delivery problem, which at the moment is being compensated by choke and throttle helping the engine to suck in the fuel rather than the fuel system doing its regular job of delivery.

bowtiebutler956

Glen, have you taken the fuel line off the carburetor, and cranked it over to see if its pumping fuel? If it is pumping fuel, and adjusting the carb doesn't help, then the carb will need to come off, and be cleaned. These carbs are very simple, and most off the time you can get buy without buying a kit, although if you have one readily available it would be better. Just take the carb apart, being careful of the gaskets if reusing. Pick up a can of carb cleaner to spray though all the carb orifices, and then blow through the orifices with compressed air. Most of the time this will get it back up, and going in short order. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

GlenPettit

Martin, Matt:

I was adjusting them all wrong, totally avoided the top black circle, I did the wrong high idle.

Inconsistent fuel was my suspect, will try the line unhook test -- both, first thing in the morning.

Been spade digging & raking by hand to at least get some things in.

Thanks for the quick reply, will give a progress report in the morning by noon, I feel oh so much better now.

Glen

Monday 1:30 -- Got the Carb adjusted correctly this time, it started and we got the Garden all roto-tilled just fine, took about15 minutes, then the engine stalled out (still had to have the Choke & Throttle half open all the time), but the garden is done.

I did not test the fule line yet, will do that tomorrow, family came over early with the triplets. The fuel line test may solve the problem. The names in the photos of carbs in the Kohler manual do not match the names on their own charts, and both are on the same printed page.

Thanks again for the quick help, Glen