Sign in to follow this  
redhorse100

wheel horse 1054

redhorse100

hi i just had a guy call me and he has a 1054 wheel horse for sale. here is some of the good. he said it was redone the early part of last year. and now for the bad. he said the horse has been in a flood last september. not just a little water totally under warter. so it needs a total strip down and redo. i dont know much about the older ones is this worth all that work. and is also asking 250.00 any info given will help decide to buy or not thanks joe

AMC RULES

Brian(buckrancher) would be the guy to ask(PM) about raising :wh: submarines. :twocents-twocents:

Might not want to tell him where it is though. :teasing-poke:

:ROTF:

• Like 1

Sparky

I would be very carefull. Its been 8-9 months since the flood right? Was anything done to it after the flood? Mainly fluid swaps is what I'm talking about. Or has it sat untouched since the the flood.

Mike.............

redhorse100

I would be very carefull. Its been 8-9 months since the flood right? Was anything done to it after the flood? Mainly fluid swaps is what I'm talking about. Or has it sat untouched since the the flood.

Mike.............

no i dont think he has done anything with it since the flood i was thinnking about frozen water and cracks and rust??????

sscotsman

When an automobile is submerged in a flood, 99.99% of the time the car is a total loss and is just junked..

tractors are simpler machines, and so are easier to restore..but still...personally I would pass..

if you really want a 1054, you can eventually find one that hasnt been completely submerged in water for a few days! ;)

although..it's original condition is also a factor..if it was in good shape before the flood, it might still be in better shape after the flood,

than another tractor that has sat out in an open field for 30 years..so its all relative.

yes, Brian (buckrancher) should have some interersting things to say..he salvaged a few classic WH roundhoods that were also flooded last September..

$250 is a decent price for a "fixer upper" than *hasnt* been flooded..

IMO, the flood should reduce the asking price to about $100..

but again, a lot depends on what kind of shape it was in before the flood..

thats really the most important factor here..

I would look at the condition of the tractor overall, determine what price it would have been worth *without* the flood,

then cut that price in half, because of the flood..

we need pictures! :)

Scot

Kelly

If the tractor is complete and has been redone, is the grille, lights, seat, nice tires, sheet metal good, steering wheel nice, I'd say it's well worth the asking price if you can say yes to those things, even if the engine is junk and the trans needs rebuilt, gas tank may be junk also, again I'd buy it if it looked to be in overall good shape, but you have to take in to account your abilities can you rebuild the items that may need rebuilt? do you have the place and time to put in to a major tear down project that will probably need $$ put into it?

redhorse100

When an automobile is submerged in a flood, 99.99% of the time the car is a total loss and is just junked..

tractors are simpler machines, and so are easier to restore..but still...personally I would pass..

if you really want a 1054, you can eventually find one that hasnt been completely submerged in water for a few days! ;)

although..it's original condition is also a factor..if it was in good shape before the flood, it might still be in better shape after the flood,

than another tractor that has sat out in an open field for 30 years..so its all relative.

yes, Brian (buckrancher) should have some interersting things to say..he salvaged a few classic WH roundhoods that were also flooded last September..

$250 is a decent price for a "fixer upper" than *hasnt* been flooded..

IMO, the flood should reduce the asking price to about $100..

but again, a lot depends on what kind of shape it was in before the flood..

thats really the most important factor here..

I would look at the condition of the tractor overall, determine what price it would have been worth *without* the flood,

then cut that price in half, because of the flood..

we need pictures! :)

Scot

the man said it was all redone in the first few months of last year. and then flooded in sept. being redone last year only several months before flood makes me think about another redo. since it is not a sat outside and almost a parts tractor. makes me think it is worth another redo unless this model is arould alot for sale thank joe

Martin

i would look at it, but would be offering half of what he wants for it. i guess you really need to base your price on the condition of the tractor. the engine, trans, gas tank and hydraulics are whats going to need the most inspection. the rest you can see fairly easily to see the damage it may have suffered. i would be very surprised if the gas tank is any good, but the engine and trans could be salvagable. they will take major work, much more than your average rebuild. you may still find unrepairable damage that will require replacement parts. if the tractor itself is a nice unit, i would put the effort in and spend that major time on the mechanicals, but thats just me.......

also, opinions on what 'redone' means varies greatly. if it had a thorough redo before the flood, the body/frame etc may still be save-able, but id still count on the mechanicals needing major work....

the 1054 isnt a real common wheelhorse, they come up for sale every now and again, they arent what i would call 'rare', more like 'unique'......

redhorse100

i would look at it, but would be offering half of what he wants for it. i guess you really need to base your price on the condition of the tractor. the engine, trans, gas tank and hydraulics are whats going to need the most inspection. the rest you can see fairly easily to see the damage it may have suffered. i would be very surprised if the gas tank is any good, but the engine and trans could be salvagable. they will take major work, much more than your average rebuild. you may still find unrepairable damage that will require replacement parts. if the tractor itself is a nice unit, i would put the effort in and spend that major time on the mechanicals, but thats just me.......

also, opinions on what 'redone' means varies greatly. if it had a thorough redo before the flood, the body/frame etc may still be save-able, but id still count on the mechanicals needing major work....

the 1054 isnt a real common wheelhorse, they come up for sale every now and again, they arent what i would call 'rare', more like 'unique'......

hi thats what i was going to say. i know all of us in the hobby have different funds they spend on there horses. some just save there money or just have money and only buy the best to put in that 200 thousand pole barn and the rest of us that are disable and live on a paycheck to paycheck have to buy the good deal horses. once it is redone and you can say i did that thats what the hobby is about but dont want to spend good money after bad if after your done all you have is the same thing that 10 people on the same block have. thanks for the info if there is not a lot of 1054 around i dont mind saving and redoing thanks joe
  • Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase.In fact,if you pass please send me the info as I have a 1054 I would like to have an extra.

redhorse100

the guy is kinda hard to get a hold of. been waiting 3 days for him to get back to me so i can go look at it. he is over 1 hour and 15 min from me. want to go look in person . looks very bad from the picture he sent!!!. maybe i said something he did not like. still waiting for him to contact me.

redhorse100

hi the guy with the flooded 1054 emailed and changed his mind. some one told him the wheel horse is worth way more than his asking price of 250.00 so he changed his mind. he was told the belts on the tractor was worth more than 300.00 alone. o well he said he was going to get it runing himself. i was told once that every women on earth was in love with me. but that was not true either!!!

• Like 1

Kelly

Maybe you should have not posted here till it was a done deal and setting at your house, it has happened before, people have talked to the sellers, or the sell googles WH and we are the first thing to come up, or he was a member already, we do have near 8000 members.

AMC RULES

Not a suprising outcome though, if it was originally a CL offering. :computer:

:hilarious:

$300 belts?

Brrly1

I just so happen to have a complete set of belts for the 1054's. Oh yea, I just so happen to have a 1054 so, THEY ARE NOT FOR SALE! Sorry! Wow! Three hundred dollars, I wonder what I could do with that!

littleredrider

I've seen it alot too. People have WHs and think they are worth a million dollars, AND have gone thru the flood. I had two go thru, but one didn't have water in the engine, other I drained immediately. If the water was drained out and at least filled with oil, might have a chance, but if they did nothing, not a good sign.

I amazed and glad that these old tractors don't bring much money. They are built like tanks and will outlast any chain store POS out there, but even nice ones barely can bring $5-600....

HorseWhisperer

Don't post it here until its in your garage!The first place that pops up when enter Wheel Horse in the url bar is RS!

• Like 1