Sign in to follow this  
Bdavid1122

Help new guy out

Bdavid1122

Hi, I just bought my first wheel horse it is a c120. It currently has a toro recycler deck 78355 attached to it. The first thing I did when I got it home was clean the deck out sence it was packed full of grass. I noticed that the deck was missing the kickers, which explains why it was so full of grass. So have been looking for used one's sence the dealer wants $140 for them. I have not been able to find alot of information, or parts for this deck. Is this deck a nice deck? Doesn't seem to popular. Now my big question is, should I keep the deck, or find a different more popular deck? Also I already purchased a new set of blades for it. When the deck is attached it kind of hangs to the left in the up position, is that normal? a6f98304-04ce-dfc3.jpga6f98304-04ed-0ba7.jpga6f98304-0503-3a17.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: Congratulations on buying your first :wh: ! I haven't seen many of those decks, but it looks like its in good shape. That type of deck probably wouldn't work very good in any type of tall grass, as it would fill up with grass with no discharge, but I bet it would work quite well if you kept of with the mowing. It should hang even in the up position, if its not its probably some play in the bracketry or may just need some adjustment. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

Bdavid1122

Do you think it would work if I cut the back out of it?

ThreeHorses

Instead of cutting the back out you should be able to remove the recycler part. I have a 42" recycler and I believe it is the same as a 42" rear discharge but with the recycler kit added. This would be the 3 heavy rings and plate the are bolted to.

Mine works in tall grass if you keep the mowing speed down and rpm's up. works great on regular lawn mowing,

Bdavid1122

mine don't come apart.  I seen that the rear discharge ones came with that option an checked hoping that mine would unbolt.  But no such luck.  Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

CRE1992

With what has been said, I would not cut the back out just yet. I am sure there is someone who might want to trade decks with you. I had a recycler deck, and it had the kickers and it still clogged up. I would rather have a discharge deck whether it be SD or RD. I am not a fan of mulching. If you get a regular SD OR RD deck, and get high lift blades on it and cut once a week you should be fine. Oh and here is the other kicker. Lawnmower blades are supposed to be sharpened every 8 hours. (Yes you have new blades, I am just saying). A lot of people don't know this and blame the deck and say its garbage. Then people argue over regular blades or mulching blades.

This is something I said on another thread a month or two back about different blades.

"You can get gator blades which will help hide the clippings due to chopping them up smaller but not really reduce the amount that come out of the deck. I still prefer hi lift blades which have a steep angle to the tail and because of this creates a vacuum which sucks the grass up into the deck and results in a great cut and it also stripes in the process and throws grass almost 10 feet which spreads it out. However in reality which many people seem to neglect, mower blades should be sharpened every 8-10 hours they are used. So really it is your choice. Also if you didn't know some lawn maintenance professionals "double cut" to reduce the amount of clippings further, and to also make a better stripe pattern. My vote is for oregon high lift blades. I had a set on a 42" side discharge I had and it cut great!"

Also on a side note, Oregon has had new mulching blades out for the last couple of seasons, for those dedicated mulching guys out there, they go make G5 and G7 gator blades. No other mulching blades compare to them.

Bdavid1122

Well i just ordered the kickers. If it comes down to it at least I will have a complete deck to trade.

Forest Road

That insert is held in by 4 carriage b jolts. I just removed mine last month. Theres no need to cut anything.

Bdavid1122

To remove the insert do you remove the blades? Do all 3 rings come out? Could you guy direct me to a good guide on how to install the deck. Like i said mine hangs to the left. It was a real pain to put back on. Also a parts list for the c120 would be nice

Don1977

The deck attachment bar on the front has a flat steel plate welded to the bar with a notch in it. When installed the notch fits over the upper bar in the Tack-a matic hitch. If the notch isn't on the bar the left side of the Tack-a-matic will not latch on the bar, causing that side of the deck to hand down.

can whlvr

sure looks like it will unbolt,to get a parts list one good source is www.partstree.com,go into toro homeowner,and apply your model number,or go into the lawn and garden tractor section and scroll down till you see your tractor,it has the entire breakdown of the tractor,and you can also find your mower deck there also,hope this helps,if you could i recomend a 42 side discharge,you can mow any thing,and blow grass and leaves to one side instead of raking

Bdavid1122

Quick update, it comes apart! Lol i am going to try and get it all cleaned up before I put it all back together. I am actually very excited to find this out it is like having 2 decks in one. I like this tractor more every day. a6f981bc-6240-b9a0.jpga6f981bc-625c-cc61.jpg

boovuc

I thought it came out. Glad you have it apart. When you buy your second Wheelhorse, (and you will), you can mount the recycler on one and a side-discharge on another.

Bdavid1122

Lol, i have been looking. But wife would not be happy. The more I like this tractor, the less she does lol. Also I found that the deck lifting rod was hooked up to the deck and lifter arm wrong. Making it unable to lift the deck all the way. I really appreciate all the help so far, thanks.

varosd

Lol, i have been looking. But wife would not be happy. The more I like this tractor, the less she does lol. Also I found that the deck lifting rod was hooked up to the deck and lifter arm wrong. Making it unable to lift the deck all the way. I really appreciate all the help so far, thanks.

Let her know that it's better to be tinkering with tractors and staying at home and not going to the bar or chasing women. just leave me out in the garage/shed and I'm happy On Cartalk radio program some daughter called into the show worried about her newly retired father out in the garage with a older car "tinkering" on a engine and of course Tom and Ray assured her that her Father was fine, in fact after finding out the family dog was also out there and there was a TV and fridge in the garage(or something to that effect)...they explained to the daughter that her Father was in ultimate nirvana state!! :D

Bdavid1122

Put a little paint on it to keep the rust away. Have to get 3 bigger bolts do to the holes getting a little big. a6f98525-a7b2-a3f7.jpg