Sign in to follow this  
westernstar

Kohler 17 hp noise

westernstar

I am restoring a 1981 c-175 and question putting the 17 back in it. I am having trouble finding the ser numbers but will keep looking.

My main worry is a high speed tapping noise after warm up. Its not a deep knock but a loud tap. Wondering if a valve has issues or just what it may be. It runs well with no smoke. I have motor on bench now but would like to get a few more good hrs out of her before I repower the tractor.

It just doesn't sound bearing related. Any thoughts from Kohler masterminds would save me time. Thanks

smoreau

I have 2 KT17 and a magnum 18 engines and one of them has that tapping sound when hot. I think its valve lash, but never took it apart to find out. It runs too good to try and fix yet. That one uses about 1/2 qt of oil per tank of gas. The others all run smooth and have no noise and use no oil. It sounds like my k series that had a valve lash issue. Just pull the breathers and adjust the valves.

JackC

I would do a compression test to check overall condition. I would also remove the heads and valve covers and inspect the condition of the valves, springs, and the valve seats. I would check valve lash which decreases to nothing with wear and results in low compression because the valve does not close completely. There is no adjustment and you have to grind the ends of the valves to restore correct lash.

A good replacement when it is time and if you can find a good used one would be the KT17 Series 2.

I have 2 C-175s with Series 2 motors. This is a picture of one of them. I bought the tractor because it had a good Series 2 motor with horrible looking sheet metal. I have replaced some of the sheet metal but this tractor is a worker and appearance is not that important for now.

pfrederi

KT 17s do not have adjustable valves. If they are too tight you have to grind the end down a bit, too loose ...buy a new valve :-(

Is the tapping noise more obvious from one cylinder to another???

SousaKerry

I would do a compression test to check overall condition. I would also remove the heads and valve covers and inspect the condition of the valves, springs, and the valve seats. I would check valve lash which decreases to nothing with wear and results in low compression because the valve does not close completely. There is no adjustment and you have to grind the ends of the valves to restore correct lash.

A good replacement when it is time and if you can find a good used one would be the KT17 Series 2.

I have 2 C-175s with Series 2 motors. This is a picture of one of them. I bought the tractor because it had a good Series 2 motor with horrible looking sheet metal. I have replaced some of the sheet metal but this tractor is a worker and appearance is not that important for now.

post-4541-0-91489300-1337730567_thumb.jpg

Hey you stole my tractor.... I did the exact same upgrade to my C-125A although I kept the shaker plate mount and do not have a stock muffler and manifold, nor do I have the fancy chrome plated air cleaner cover :bow-blue:

JackC

Its a C-175 Auto but the hood was all rusted so I took a hood off my C-125 parts tractor.

The C-175 and C-125 are basically the same except for the motors, decals, and rear tire size

I do like the twin cylinder motors.

This is my 1983 C-175 Auto with only 278.7 hours on it.

westernstar

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't sure weather the valves were adjustable. The motor needs more diagnostic work before I run it. I can't tell if left or right side is noisy.

I know you can't just keep running thease engines and expect everything to stay in adjustment. I'll still take a twin any day.