NC B-111

B-111 transmission help needed, Please.

NC B-111

I have a '79 Wheel horse B-111 with the 3-speed hi & low transmission. I noticed the input shaft pulley wobbling & alot of bearing noise, while it was running. Took out the tranny / differential & split the case open. (wow! Couldn't believe REAL STEEL GEARS! And, Packed to the gills with bearing grease!...lol) Anyways, found the "remains" of a roller bearing that the input shaft rides in. The shaft has some wear on it. Also, appears to be a bushing at the top of the transmission case (...close to the pulley end of shaft...)? Any help locating parts & diagrams would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I LOVE this tractor and the thought of having to scrap it KILLS ME! Thankyou.

racinfool40

here is a link to the mechanicall trans manual:

http://www.mywheelho...1958_-_1982.pdf

the bearing you need is 1508

I have the bearing and a good used input shaft if ya need it..

you will also need a seal P/n 100442

Might want to check all the bearings and seal while you have it apart.

MIKE.

NC B-111

Hi Mike, Thanks for the link. But, in looking through that transmission manual, my tranny wasn't in there. The ID# of my B-111 is: 92-11BF01-05224 / 9080. That's all the info on the ID plate. Also, my transmission splits in half with a "top" & a "bottom". Don't know if that helps or not? Anymore info You can pass along is Great. Thankyou.

Wade

racinfool40

ARGH!!! I did it again!!!!! Sorry NC you have the peerless tranny Maybe some one will come along to help ya out..I don't mess with them!

NC B-111

Thanks Mike. I appreciate Your help again. At least now I know which tranny I have. Thankyou, for Your help.

Wade

bowtieguy

Hi NC....you will find the Foote trannys are not much of a tranny compared to the real WH trannnys.....as a winter project, I refurbished 5 WH trannnys....which included a Foote 4000-5 from a B-111 and a Peerless tranny from a B-115. The Foote trans was junked because the axles did not have any grease on them and they "galled" the alum casing beyond repair. By the way, that "grease" that you mentioned is a special grease for both trannys....it is called Benonite and is NLA.(or very expensive if you find some)...pretty good stuff because it will NOT mix with water or break down due to heat and water.

I ended up scrapping the Foote tranny and replaced it with a Peerless tranny from a B-115....not an exact fit but it worked out ok.

I looked in my manuals file and found a parts manual for the B-111 (92-11BF01) that I ordered from Toro several years ago....the manual is also for a B-81....and contains a parts breakdown for the Foote # 4000-5. I looked for the bearing that you are looking for but the only thing I see in the parts list is a INPUT SHAFT KIT p/n 107918...but I don't think you will find it available from anyone. I saved the gears but I don't know if I can find the input shaft assy ....feel free to email me if you want more info...

My addy is: frufenacht@att.net

Another note about the grease....don't replace it....it should be black and very thick...I did find a partial tube at a local shop and added it to my Peerless trannny from the B-115....I also found a source for it (Benonite grease) on the internet but it is expensive...about 40 bucks for a small tube.

The parts manual for the B-111 (which includes a breakdown of the Foote tranny) is probably still available from Toro...number in upper left corner is # 362. If you use model # 92-11BF01, you should be able to find it on the Toro site.

Good luck with your "vertical shaft" engine Wheel Horse lawn mower...I use mine to pull a trailer with a boom sprayer....not my favorite WH but it is the right color (faded red).

I'm bettin' your next WH will be a horizional shaft lawn TRACTOR....like a 702 or a B-80...or maybe a C-100....and you will park the B-111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, its back to the shop to look at a 8 hp Kohler that I found at a farm sale yesterday....wonder what frame I can put that engine on??

Rooster

I have a Peerless transaxle out of a B111 if you'd be interested. the peerless is a much better unit than the foote!

It is a model 600.

However the shipping from me to you would be pretty high!

The 600 peerless was a widely used transaxle and any of them should fit your tractor.ABout the only differences are axle lengths. If you found one locally You could buy it and I could ship you the parts off of this one to make it correct for a B111....just an offer.

As well there are some other Peerless units that could be used in place of the Foote.

• Like 1

Rooster

NC B-111

Thankyou everyone for all the info You gave me. Upon, cleaning-up the tranny housing (...Yes bowtieguy, I saved as much of the benonite grease as I could. Thanks for the heads-up...), I found there was very little wear on the input shaft, itself. (.625 or 5/8") I also knocked-out the 2 needle bearing remains (...outer casings...). So, my next steps are to 1. measure the inside diameter of the tranny input shaft hole. Then, 2. try to match-up some new needle bearings. I used the Toro website to look-up the B-111 manual & parts list (...thanks again bowtieguy...). This will be really helpful in the re-ass'y process. Although, as an after-thought, I'm thinking of drilling a small hole in the tranny housing, (between the 2 bearings) & installing a grease fitting, to keep these bearings lubed. Any thoughts? Oh, and You guys were right....I do have the Foote transmission. Thankyou all again for all of Your help! Like I said before, I Really Luv this lil old Wheelhorse, & don't wanna part with it!!!

Rooster

Alot of guys who race that style of trans-axle install a grease fitting in them!

redhorse100

hi i have a 78 b-111 with a 4 speed but no hi and low i think peerless trans that i am parting out. i am in the poconos if the gear or bearing you need is the rear end i have. thanks joe