Sign in to follow this  
VballHerk

B-115 11hp Briggs and Stratton will not start.

VballHerk

As the title says, I recently picked up a tractor because I was tired of push mowing. I ended up getting a 83 b-115 the day after I cut the grass.

It ran good, and I drove it around the yard a few times because I was really excited to use it. So the grass was finally high enough to cut, and now the thing won't start.

It makes a attempt, and spins nice and fast. It makes slight back fire noises as it tries.

It has spark, (you can see a nice blue spark off of the plug). Also, I bought a new plug.

It has gas, (I took off the screw on the bottom of the bowl, and gas was coming out).

The fuse is good.

I charged up the battery.

I sanded the magnets on the top.

I tried starter fluid in the carb.

I tried starter fluid in the plug hole.

I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Derek

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: First off I have to say that starting fluid is really bad for these little engines. Having said that, if it didn't start with the fluid, and it has good fire, then maybe it sheared the flywheel key, allowing the timing to get way off. These engines are very simple, and most the time if they have both fuel, and fire they will run, unless something is really wrong. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

VballHerk

I did check the flywheel but all the teeth seem to be there.

Thanks for the tip!

bowtiebutler956

It's not the teeth that would be the problem. There is a woodruff key that keeps the flywheel from being able to spin on the crankshaft, and if it shears then the flywheel can spin, which allows it to get out of its correct position. There is a good chance you wouldn't even be able to tell, without actually removing the flywheel. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Rooster

If it is backfiring, the flywheel key is most likely the problem.

VballHerk

My Dad and I finally had a chance to miss around with it. We sanded the magneto and cleaned it up. It was filthy. It starts and runs for about 10 seconds, then cuts out.

I don't know if it's related, but the spring that is attached to the throttle cable is only attached to 1 end. Shouldn't it be attached to something on the carb end?

Thanks again!

Rooster

Umm, yeah! lol

That is the governor spring, does the throttle actually move anything on the carb when you use it?

VballHerk

Ya, the throttle is connected, but that spring is connected to the throttle end by the battery. On the other end (by the carb) it's not connected to anything.

Rooster

SO what is moving the butterfly on the carb?