Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

How to test relay and safety switches on 95 520H? No Start?

stevebo

I have a 95 520H that has been running great. Every once in a while I needed to jiggle the forward/reverse lever on the colum in order to get it to start. I know that was to ensure the tractor was in "neutral" and it activated the safety switch. Now it no longer works. I "jumped" the seat switch and still nothing. When I turn the key to start I can feel hear power going to the relay switches under the battery and can feel the clicking on the middle and right side relay but not the left side.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to test or bypass the neutral safety switch? How about the relay switches? Any help would be appreciated.

ps- my test light and volt meter is on my boat in the tool box so that is a problem...

300zx

Steve, if you pull the upright panel below the dash (4 screws), you will see the gate that requires you to push the handle down for reverse. It has a safety micro switch to sense if you are in neutral. Bypass it and see if that solves your problem.

John

bwh3200

Micro switch is my bet also!

stevebo

Thanks all. I did that and now have power to the starter but the starter in not working. Need to check the connections there. Plan on doing so after the show.

lincman

I had the same intermittent problem on a '97 520H. Turn out the little spade terminal on the starter was loose and with vibration would work itself off making a no crank condition. So I squeezed the connectors and that helped immensely.