Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

New tractors vs. old. . . some thoughts

squonk

My neighbor tried to move a large crate loaded with junk with his rear engine Gravely. He was on pavement and all he did was manage to pop wheelies and slam his snowplow into the blacktop. I came over with my Power King Elvis and without taking it off idle dragged it 50 ft to the side of the road. :)

AMC RULES

Sounds like that phat Elvis didn't even break into a sweat. :text-datsphatyo:

smoreau

I don't mind JD, cub, etc. older tractors. I prefer Wheel Horse and thats all I own, But when I walk next to all those nice shinny new green tractors at Lowes I find my self fantasizing what those tractors are thinking. The only thing I could come up with is "I wish I was a real John Deere!" What they call a cast iron front axle these days looks like it weighs about 2 lbs. Plastic bushings for front wheel bearings. And a non serviceable rear axle. I owned a 85ish JD 160 with a 12HP Kawasaki engine that run great. It had a 36" deck and snow blower. I had to fix the peerless trans 5 times in 5 years. At least the parts are still available. Other then cutting grass. I would say it sucks for anything else. I sold it and bought another :wh: .

• Like 1

decksetter

I've never tried to pull anything as large and heavy as a shed with my 522xi. Do you think it could do it? I'm just curious as I kind of consider the 5xi tractors as a transition between Old and New.

- Challenger

I would hope so, I have pulled my Oliver 77 that wouldn't start around the barn lot with a 416H (at near idle) on multiple occasions.

bowtiebutler956

Just recently acquired a Snapper Zero turn with a 42" deck, and it mows well, but boggs in taller grass, and it has a 20hp Briggs in it. My B-80 that actually has a K-301 12hp Kohler on it, and a 36" deck doesn't. I realize my :wh: has a slightly smaller deck, but it also has 8 less horsepower, and will easily mow thru taller grass faster than the Snapper will. Just goes to show, nothing out works a Horse! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Keith

A difference is the culture is changing. Younger people are more likely to be interested in the latest iphone than in mechanical things. Those of us in this forum see the value of wheel bearings in equipment, admire cast iron and steel, don't mind lubricating the grease zerks, chanigng the oil on schedule is no hassle. In the general society few really care as long as the wheels roll. Youth aren't as interested in building hot rods like they did generations ago. There are fewer actively restoring antique tractors. You need a certain patience in long term satisfaction to to care whether your garden tractor might outlive yourself! Besides this, well built American made hardware is viewed as costly, and it probably is when you are thinking of only the next five or six years.

JackC

The weight of the tractor and gearing is probably more important than the horse power. A C-175 is all steel and cast iron. The newer John Deer / MTD is made from plastic and recycled beer cans. A 522xi probably would do it.

Forest Road

My dad was an AMC/Jeep mechanic. And as such he was always working on someone's car. So as a kid I thought it was normal to tear things apart and put them back together. Yet I was amazed at the ruggedness of those jeeps from the 60's and 70's. Dana 60 axles, 4speed trannies with creeper low, the old straight six.....I think that's where my appreciation for the "Heavy Duty" aspect of tools and equipment came from. I knew a few people who had experience with WHs. When It came time to get some "old iron" for our vacation house I looked at Gravely, JD, Simplicity, and of course the Red ones. A new Garden tractor for $5000+ wasn't in the budget. But a 20 y/o old red one for $500 and some elbow grease was. From previous experience with a Craftsman garden tractor I knew what not to get. And with the WHs parts are easy to come by, new or used. Accessories are available in bulk here in the northeast. And all that horrible maintenance is a breeze on these with a little guidance. Actually the maintenance i so simple its almost laughable. If Americans are ever to reclaim some of our lost heritage I think it ought to start with the family checkbook. Why buy a throwaway product when for a lot less money you can buy an investment in your own financial future. And in a couple year I'll be teaching my boys the value of a quality product with these lil red horses!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

If Americans are ever to reclaim some of our lost heritage I think it ought to start with the family checkbook. Why buy a throwaway product when for a lot less money you can buy an investment in your own financial future. And in a couple year I'll be teaching my boys the value of a quality product with these lil red horses!

Eloquently said Forest. :thumbs: