Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Reel mower on a 550

Ken B

I have a very nice reel mower that I'd like to try on my 550. What were the reel mowers specifically used for? Did people use them to cut the lawn or are they more of a rough cut type of deal? Strictly a trinket kinda deal these days? Whatever the case how well did they work? I'm sure there is only one way to find out! Can anyone tell me what size and length the belt is? Thanks for any help!

bowtiebutler956

Reel mowers are more of a fine cut. They are supposed to be better for the grass, because they slice the grass more like scissors rather that whacking it off with a knife. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

squonk

My dad bought a brand new 604 in 64 with the reel mower. I was 5 at the time. We had a huge yard. Shortly after he bought it, I remember the tractor loaded up on a truck ,leaving and coming back with a 32" RD deck on it. The reel mower was put out back to rust. I remember dragging the thing out as a teenager and rigging it up so I could drag it with the tractor. I used the cutting edge like a scraper. I really worked pretty good for what I was using it for. If I only knew then what I know now.......