Sign in to follow this  
tomtractor

Sanding between coats of paint

tomtractor

How much sanding do you all do between coats of primer/paint? How many coats of paint? Do you always wet sand between coats? I am using IH Valspar Restoration rattle-can paint. Also how much drying time between coats of paint? I am restoring a C-125. Whats your technique? Again, in advance - thats for all your great info.

smoreau

I used valspar red oxide primer and wet sanded it with 400 grit, then 600 grit sand paper then I sprayed on 5 coats of IH Restoration series paint on it with about 30 min between coats . When wet sanding with oil based paints, you need to let it dry for several days before you can do it as it takes a long time to dry. After the red was sprayed, I let it set for 5 days in a low humidity 75deg room before handling it and about 3 weeks before installing stickers.

022-5.jpg

021-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

bowtiebutler956

I sand after every coat of primer, but I don't sand between coats of paint. The paint takes to long to dry like smoreau said, to sand between coats. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-92996000-1337339692.jpg

post-6076-0-35143000-1337339709.jpg

tomtractor

Thanks. I painted yesterday. I will wait a day for the paint to dry and sand. Then paint with multiple coats every half hour the day after. I didn't sand the primer. I believe the primer said on the can not to sand? Valspar oil primer.

bowtiebutler956 I really like your B-80.

COMMANDO6

Bowtiebutler956, is that a Bantam like on American Restoration?

And that B80 is nice.

bowtiebutler956

Yes Commando6 it is, its actually a the last year they were called Standard which is 52. In 1953 the started calling them Bantams. You can find the complete thread on this tractor in the other brands section under Standard Tractor. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas: