Sign in to follow this  
decksetter

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

decksetter

Mounted my blade tonight for the first time, tried to grade out a hump in my driveway. The blade just wasn't heavy enough for packed gravel... so I decided I needed a weight box.

2012-05-17_18-59-46_39.jpg

Yeah buddy! I happened to have an old bucket full of drywall mud that froze last winter and isn't good anymore. That's 61.7 pounds of pure gravel grading glory! Attached by green bungee strap, no less!

It worked like a charm! That is, until it was time to put the tractor away, I kicked it up in 3rd gear, going across the yard the lift let loose and the blade dropped and jarred me pretty good at full throttle. I got stopped before I did any real damage, lifted it back up, let the clutch out, and BOOMTHUMPSHAKE.... front end shot in the air and then I'm stopped. Did I run over the blade? No, it's still in front...

I ran over the impromptu weight box, and I was stuck with a 5 gallon bucket full of drywall mud under the left rear tire / axle.

2012-05-17_19-41-07_1.jpg

2012-05-17_19-41-15_13.jpg

Guess it's time to figure out a better mounting system for my weight box...

WH520

Sorry but I had to laugh at the last picture. Only because I've had many good idea at the time moments.

CRE1992

This one made me laugh too... Word to the wise, try and find some 42-44lb suitcase weights, they fit right over the top edge of the blade and add down pressure, and are less likely to fall off lol.I believe I have seen a post where Stevebo added the suitcase weights to the blade, maybe he will chime in.

-Charles

KC9KAS

I'm sure that scared the crap out of you at first, then you laughed a little too, or you wouldn't have shared your excitement with us!

Glad you didn't hurt yourself or the mighty horse.

I used to plow the streets with a 10' snow plow....sanitary sewer manhole lids will make a 30,000 pound dump truck come to a complete stop too!

VinsRJ

Good time to change the tire........

Save Old Iron
humerous.jpg

AMC RULES

LOL...you'd fit right in with the crew at work, :teasing-poke: how'd you get it off the bucket? :popcorn:

bowtiebutler956

:ROTF: I'm glad I'm not the only guy who has his "seemed like a good idea at the time" ideas backfire on him like that! Thanks for the Laugh! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

stevasaurus

Glad you are not hurt, and I have to say that it takes guts to share this with all of us. :) :) I wish I could tell you that I have done things like this...and I could... :bow-blue: Live by the bunji...die by the bunji. :) :)

bowtieguy

We've all seen dogs lift their leg to take care of business....but never a horse!.....guess the results is the same in both cases.....throws the other department out of gear!!

varosd

Houston, we have a problem....

I guess that is one way to avoid having to go out a pay for a floor jack!

ol550

Hey guys watch this... could you hold my beer?

1maidenfan

:laughing-lettersrofl: :laughing-rolling::ROTF:

Some of the comments you guys are posting are as funny as the actuall incident.

decksetter

how'd you get it off the bucket? :popcorn:

had a 5ft long 2x4, put an end under the tractor, lifted the other end with right hand, pulled out bucket with left hand. Probably wasn't the brightest idea either...

• Like 2

Kelly

Well your not alone, I was moving some wheel weight from the driveway to the barn, it's about 150' I had 6 weights to move I carried the first weight then had the bright idea to drive the plow tractor up and stack 2 weights on the blade like you did, well half way to the barn they fell off I didn't see them fall till I ran over one and the other tried standing up under the tractor lifting it up in the air, scared the crap out of me, I hooked up the yard trailer to haul the rest, I guess that is what they built the trailers for to haul crap in huh??

• Like 1

Foozerush

How is the bucket?????

Rooster

Next time,duct tape a bucket to the blade, then put the mud bucket in that bucket and it won't fall off.....

This is yet another case of improper red neck engineering. You used a bungee cord in an obvious duct tape application!

• Like 1

Alan_Heist

How is the bucket?????

And what did the wife think about the divot in the lawn? :laughing-rofl:

AMC RULES

I don't think my wife even knows we have a lawn. :ychain:

KC9KAS

Only until it isn't nicely mowed!

decksetter

Next time,duct tape a bucket to the blade, then put the mud bucket in that bucket and it won't fall off.....

This is yet another case of improper red neck engineering. You used a bungee cord in an obvious duct tape application!

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!!!!!

Yeah that's about right...

bo dawg

Was you drinking something at the time? Looks like something wet ran down the side there over the tire.

SNYFIX

The old snowblades had a straight lifting bar (instead of chain/eyelet) which afforded someone with hydralic lift on thier tractor to have down pressure. Obviously wouldn't work so well with manual lift although you'd sure work those arm muscles pushing down !!

(The solid bar would go from the hole, not the slot in the snowblade frame up to the pivot where the snowblower 'trinagle' attaches).

ericj

this is how i put down pressure on my blade i have a solid bar in between the rock shaft and the lower lift arm works great it could be used on manual lifts to and then just push on the lift handle

eric

Wheel Horse Kid

We've all seen dogs lift their leg to take care of business....but never a horse!.....guess the results is the same in both cases.....throws the other department out of gear!!

:laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl: LOL!!!