Sign in to follow this  
deadheadmike

mower deck not cutting evenly

deadheadmike

hello. I ambrand new here and not very mechanical. your help and patience with me is greatly appreciated. I have a wheel horse 212-5. recently the deck belt had to be replaced. I took the old belt to store and measured it and bought a new one. I had a stroke a few yrs ago so I am not able to work on the mower vey much. my friend replaced the belt for me. he could not put the part that tightens the belt back in with the belt on so he connected that part and slipped the belt over the last pulley. ever since the belt was replaced the deck is uneven. left side is much higher that the right side. did I buy a belt that was too small? is there an adjustment I don't know about? any help or ideas are very much appreciated.

GlenPettit

If the VIN # of your 212-5 is #32-12O502 (it's a 1991); and if the VIN # is #32-12O503 (it's a 1992 model);

we need to know the actual cutting width of your deck, it could be 36" rear discharge, 37" side, 42" rear, 42" recycler, or a 42" side,

then we can tell you the belt number and the exact size of the belt. Belts often stretch in use, must consider this when measuring.

Originally there was a VIN # on the back up side of your deck on a thin plate, a seven- letter/numeric number, this would help.

- - - - -

Be sure the air pressure is the same in all tires (10#). You can get a free download of your owners' manual using your VIN#,

on this site. My first guess is that it may be the wrong deck belt.

Good Luck,

deadheadmike

thank you for the info. I looked under the seat and found these numbers. 3212B501 48814. the deck is a 37" side discharge. the plate on the deck is worn and I could not make out the long number but found 15763 below the number I could not read. I don't know if this matters or not, but when we changed the belt we lowered the deck below the lowest setting and then had trouble raising the deck after the new belt was installed. we finally got the deck raised up and once it was raised it was easy to adjust the height. I will check for a manual also. as always, any help is greatly appreciated.

gwest_ca

The drive belt for the 35-37SL01 deck is 1/2"x76".

There is a product service bulletin on the installation of this deck in the Files of

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals8/

named

WH61-90 #404 200-Series Mower Installation

If you need the operator manual it is in the Files of

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals5_3/

named

Mower Rotary 37in SD 1989 35-37SL01 OM #810481R1.pdf

Garry

deadheadmike

I would like to thank those of you that replied to my post. turns out I had the correct belt. my friend that installed the new belt didn't get everything tightened up correctly. my son-in-law came over tuesday and fixed the problem.

I am glad I found this forum and am sure I'll be back the next time I have an issue.

btw, I love that you can get valuable assistance as well as a good laugh, like the seemed like a good idea at the time post.

thanks again!

• Like 1