Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Craftsman GT

Sparky

I know that the Craftsman tractors get no respect here but I got mine out this week and gave it a good cleaning and a tuneup to get ready for this season.

Its a 2001 with a Kohler 20hp twin and a hydro tranny. It was a fathers day gift for me from the wife and kids back in 2001. I had an idea that I was getting a tractor since my little cheapie MTD Agway was shot. I had just discovered the WH's and only had a beat up WH made with parts from a few tractors and no PTO(=no mowing). I was real worried that I would get an MTD/MURRAY type machine with 8" rear tires and a plastic transaxle :eusa-doh: , but was pleasantly surprised when this showed up. It has a 46" deck and a triple bagger that works great.

Other than regular maintenance this Craftsman has given me 11 hassle free years, has never let me down, and is real comfy so I have no complaints whatsoever.

Heres a few pics before the picture police jump all over me :rolleyes: .

Mike......

post-2-0-79598500-1337189345_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-51168200-1337189365_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-54888200-1337189387_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-32550900-1337189405_thumb.jpg

Kelly

They are nice mowers, not quite a true garden tractor, my neighbor has one a bit older than yours and has little issues with it, the main one he kept breaking the lift arm, lifting his tiller that has a 8hp briggs on it, but after the second time breaking it, I reinforced it and no problem since then.

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a great little tractor. Can't complain when something is a gift. Jake

bowtiebutler956

That's a good looking machine Mike, and it looks like it has been well taken care of. The seat looks very familiar, thats the same seat I have on my B-80. If you notice in all my :wh: pics in the gallery, I've taken the pics so that the name couldn't be seen. :ychain: In my first post here at RedSquare I think Martin even asked what the seat was from, and I chose to ignore the question, :ROTF: but really the old Craftsman worked great until the 19.5 Biggs thru a rod out the side of the block. Since then it's been a parts donor. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Challenger

Mike,

In addition to my Toro Wheel Horses we have a Craftsman GT 5000 which looks similar to yours (ours is red) and about 6 or 7 years old. We use it to mow 3 acres at our cabin and we've never had a problem. It's about 24hp, 54" cut, Hydro, and we caught a sale at the time and paid about $1650. I consider this machine to be a great value and one of the smarter tractor purchases I've made.

- Challenger

Ken B

Nice clean machine Mike and it brings back memories of my Dads Craftsman tractor he had back in the 80's.

My younger brother who was 13 at the time used to drive my Dads Craftsman tractor all over the neighborhood, and he used to beat on it big time! Smoke shows with oil and bleach, the works. He would always make sure it was parked back in the garage by 4 pm because he knew that is when Dad got home. I used to always tell him Dad was gonna kick his ass if he broke it. For real. Well, sure enough he did break it, big time. My brother (13) had to totally remove the rear diff and completely take it apart. I MIGHT have helped but he didn't even ask. He got REAL lucky because Dad was away on vacation. He ordered the parts at the Sears store and it was fixed before Dad got home! I can remember there being parts all over the garage floor! I don't know how he got it done but he did. I don't know where he got the money for the parts either? It lasted at least another ten yrs! Craftsmans aren't bad tractors at all. We have all been a little spoiled with our Horse's I think.

Today after work I'm going to mow Dad's lawn with the 520. :icecream:

Sparky

Thanks guys. Your right Kelly, its not as tough as a real garden tractor but tougher than a lawn tractor. It only mows grass and bags up leaves in the fall. No plowing, grading...etc...

Mike..............

AMC RULES

Heres a few pics before the picture police jump all over me :rolleyes: .

Pretty sure that only happens when referring to our :wh: red one's Mike. :ychain:

• Like 1

chris11

Mike whats up with the green? my is craftsman is red. good tractor i cut my lawn with it

Coadster32

Mike whats up with the green? my is craftsman is red. good tractor i cut my lawn with it

My old craftsman was yellow. Come see..come sa.

Sparky

If I remember right the green ones were Kohler powered and the red ones were Briggs powered.

Or something like that.

Either way I'm real happy with the Kohler!

Mike...........

chris11

No mine has a kolher commad 27hp. Its been good knock on wood. I just replace a kohler in my old gt5000 craftsman. with a 24hp briggs.. it was free then traded it for a cub with 107 hours on it...

kloe0699

My dad is away on vacation and he left me in charge of his mowing. A little craftsman gt 1000, it cut really good. I was actually impressed by how well it mowed. It was nice to get back on the C-175 that has brand new wh belts and blades though.

bo dawg

Ah there's nothing wrong with the heavy duty Craftsman with cast iron front ends and rigid frame. The worst thing would be the trans axles, they are not as strong as like whats on our WH's, but they can take some abuse. Not good for gardening but can push or blow snow and great at cutting grass and so big to set on. Wait till you see what I'm about to post here in a minute.

can whlvr

they are great to mow with,my neighbor has a craftsman lawn tractor thats over 20 years old and still going strong,he maintains it and only mows and pulls a small cart

Wheel-N-It

I've been seeing some of these on CL lately. Its good to know they give such fine service. They do look like a well built machine, especially for the money. How is readily available are parts for them? Parts like deck spindles for example?

Sparky

I haven't had to buy any "specialty" parts like those you mentioned but with my Craftsman the body style changed every couple years but the deck was pretty much the same for many years. Kohler parts are Kohler parts so no issues there and the hydro manufacturer is still in business. I think its a Hydro-Gear or something along those lines.

Mike.......