Sign in to follow this  
1973auto12

noob help, no start, regulator? 1973 12hp

1973auto12

This past winter, I jump started the 1973 auto without unplugging the regulator, and now it won't start. I replaced the solenoid but that wasn't it. When I was replacing the solenoid I accidentally touched cables closing the starter circuit and before I knew it the faithful Kohler 12 was fired up and thumping away. That was exciting. Is it the ignition or regulator? What did I destroy? Looks like the ignition switch is $48 and the regulator is a little over $100 from the local mower place. They say they can order them in.

Tractor is model # 10465-8 and the engine is a K301S. Spec. # 47421d.

Sorry, I'm sure there is already a good thread or 30 on this, can someone point me in the right direction? Thx, Jake.

Also, I have the original owners manual if anyone would like a copy.

rmaynard

:WRS:

When you say that it won't start, do you mean it won't turn the starter, or the starter turns and the engine won't start?

The regulator has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

When you turn the key, does the solenoid click?

First thing to check when having a starting issue are the grounds. Be sure that all ground connections are good.

bowtiebutler956

It won't be the regulator, but it sure could be the ignition switch. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

1973auto12

It doesn't click, no starter turnin', no nuthin', but the lights work. But last time I tried a couple of months ago I got a click at one point, and then maybe tried to jump again, and then no click. Battery replaced. I wanted to check before I ordered the regulator so glad I didn't jump the gun there, thanks, and now that you mention it that is what someone else told me. So, if you don't unplug the regulator when quick charging it can ruin the ignition switch? Wish I had paid attention to the advice on the sticker. All ground connections look good. I will get out the voltmeter now (vs. earlier) and start checking. Thanks for the help and if you can help me troubleshoot the ignition switch that would be great. The entire machine is in good condition. Thanks again.

1973auto12

There was a loose wire at the brake interlock switch. Cleaned those connections and tightened back on. Now the solenoid clicks when I connect the battery, but there is no click when I turn the key. The electric clutch and lights work when in the run/accessory position.

mark olmsted

hello and i would love to get a copy of the manual i just bought a 1973 12 auto today having a heck of a time finding any thing about this wheel horse.any knowledge of this tractor will help me . couldnt believe my luck first owner bought it new used it 2 years stored it and forgot about for 31 years  yes 31 then second owner got it went thru it and sold it to me today runs like brand new added it to my other one i have a 8horse 4 speed to but need to replace piston rings since my father let it sit for 10 years pushes snow great but wont mow to much blow by in piston rings .hope to hear from you for the manual though and thanks , mark

gwest_ca

Mark

I started a new thread for you in the "Wheel Horse Tractor" catagory. The first one on the page.

Garry