Sign in to follow this  
WH252-H

TWO TONE PAINT

WH252-H

Soon, I will be repainting my 252-H

Question 1: Do I paint the entire piece red then mask the red and paint the black areas? I ask this because the original paint job was not all that good. The paint around the grill area was THICK and IMO lost some detail where they painted black over red. I was wondering if I painted up to the point of color change (with a little overlap), then taped the red off and finished with black , would this be more crisp or will I take the risk of noticable color or sheen difference where part of the two colors overlap? I'm not sure if this is making sense but I would be putting red over primer and black over primer with a small area of overlap. Hopefully resulting in a crisper look. I guess there are two versions of the same question in there.

Q 2: What's the best way to get crisp sharp lines at the point where black meets red? The original lines had small serrations. I guess from the tape as they pulled it off.

Q 3: I will use a clear coat over everything. Do you scuff up the paint before the clear coat?

Q 4: What type/brand of tape do you use for masking areas off? What about when you have to make a small curve around something? It's not like the good old days when you had one type of masking tape. Now, I see colors man! all these colors of tape man! It's freakin me out man!

smoreau

I did the rattel can thing with my 520 project and I know what you mean about the black over the red. I was thinking the same thing, and came to the conclusion that I wanted the red to look the best as its on the top of the hood and will see the most ware. From just a few feet away it looks great, but up close you can see how thick the paint is on the black. One trick for good sharp lines is to remove the tape as soon as the paint is tacky and isn't flowing any more. WH painted the hoods all red and the black was painted over the red. so thats what I did.

022-5.jpg

021-3.jpg

020-2.jpg

019-3.jpg

018-3.jpg

AMC RULES

Fine line painters tape will give you the crisp edges between colors you're looking for.

Use a good quality tape like that offered by 3M.

bowtiebutler956

3M tape is the only way to go! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

tunahead72

Now, I see colors man! all these colors of tape man! It's freakin me out man!

Yeah, I know the problem. Can you hear them, too?

• Like 1

bo dawg

Its the reds man its the reds! :)