Sign in to follow this  
bprotiva

d 160 engine rebuild

bprotiva

hi, new to this forum, and i just aquired a WH d160, and once i got it home, got it started up, i noticed the left bank wasnt firing. it has the 18hp onan, so after a few trouble shoots, i took the head off and discovered that the rod has snapped. ive been digging around on the internet, and have realized that rebuilding this is going to be a little costly. on onans site, a complete overhaul kit is $1100... so my question is do any of you know of any other sites that might have some of these kits or parts cheaper than that? or know where i might be able to just find another motor to just swap with??? thank you

1maidenfan

:WRS: :teasing-newbie::teasing-poke::ROTF:

Should be a 16 hp Onan engine, if its not someone has changed it. Keep an eye out on ebay, I have seen some parts for the onans on thier. Might check your local craigslist also or possibly some one here on :rs: Good luck and :text-welcomeconfetti: to :wh: mania :beer:

P.S...... :wwp: :wwp:

Try this ebay item and look through the sellers other items. Might have what you need....130692913841(ebay item #)

bprotiva

the motor is a performer 18xsl. i did find some parts on ebay, most were used but in good shape. from all of the research ive done so far, it seems that this tractor could be a worthwhile investment, so thats why i was looking to just buy new parts. figured do it once and then i wont have to worry about it again. on onans site, they offer oversized pistons and different length rods, but im really not sure on what to look for to see if the motor has ever been bored or rebuilt before. im pretty new to the small engine builds, so any information anyone offers can help

bprotiva

this is what i found

post-7215-0-88871700-1336534832_thumb.jp

JamesBe1

I am going through that with a Kohler engine on a D-180. The best source of parts I have found so far is ebay. I am sure that there is plenty of onan stuff there too.

Make sure that the crank shaft is not damaged (it likely is). You will probably have to take it out and have it reground to the next undersize. Not sure what size rods are available for onans, so you might want to check into that before you get too far. If you have to take the crankshaft out, then it's going to be a lot of work.

In my own experience with the kohler, there were only -.010 rods available, and the crankshaft couldn't be cut to that (it was out of round). I had to have it sent to be built back up and then reground to match my new piston rods.

bprotiva

yes, i definately have to have the crank reground, there is 3 small divits on it from what i can see so far. there is a machine shop close to where i live, but im not sure if he deals with motors that are this small.... hes more of a small and big block kind of shop. but i am also looking for some of the attachments for this tractor, so if anyone knows where i might be able to find some i would appreciate it

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: Wow, when that rod let go, it really let GO! I don't know of any cheap place for onan parts, but I sure they could be found on :techie-ebay: . :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

1maidenfan

this is what i found

If the piston is over sized it should be stamped on the top of the piston.

coldone

onanparts.com has most of the parts you need. I have purchased a few small things from them and have been happy.