Sign in to follow this  
Shmitties

Thinking of buying a D-250

Shmitties

A local guy has one for sale I'm thinking about going to pick up. It has the 3 point a mower and a front blade. I don't want to mow with it except the month we have mowing the church yard my John Deeres cover mowing my grass. It would actually see use in the timber with my brother and I cutting fire wood pulling the trailer and the occasional log. I had read about them having rear end problems which were hard to find parts for then seen somewhere else that you can swap the rear end out of another tractor. Since I was 15 years old (27 now) I've wanted a wheel horse I don't know what my facination is with them but its there. I've almost gotten one a few times but the deals have fallen through for one reason or another. Since I think this could help in the timber and fulfills my desire to own a WH it seems win win to me.

clintonnut

Parts parts parts. They are very hard to get. You're best off having a parts tractor if you want a running one.... I sold mine last fall.

Charlie

Hodge71

Shmitties,

I dont really know anyone that owns a 250 that really uses it. The ones that have a running tractor, dont use it because of the scarcity of parts, and the fear that if it breaks they'll never find parts to run it again. The ones that dont run are waiting because of the scarcity of parts. Like Charlie said parts, parts, parts. Most people that have them, own one because of the novelty of the whole thing. If I was you and you're looking to abuse something in the woods dragging logs and trailers, buy something else more suitable. I log with a 1950 Ford 8n believe it or not. I have for years and its still going strong even with only 26hp and 6 volts. Its tall and I can straddle logs with it, it gets around rather well considering. and I stack the logs pretty well with a 3 point boom pole.

Shmitties

Alright thanks for talking me out of it (I guess :P) I had considered the 8n's but was also wanting something I could mow with if my Deere was in the shop or the month we mow the church yard (nearly 5 acres). I have considered some Kubota's maybe even a 520h thought I had punched the ticket when I found this D-250.

can whlvr

welcome,and if i were you id look at the 520,or any c or a 300,or 400 series,the older ones are great workers also but if you keep it fairly new,30 years or newer for the first horse,you can get parts,and find a decent machine for a reasonable buck

rockbuilt

Let me just say I'm not scared I have a D250 and I use it. I use it for all of my heavy work tilling moving stone dragging anything heavy I use it for cutting grass on occasion, The occasion usually working on my other tractor. It mows great but the tranz makes less mobile. I cut with the C195 the 60" deck and hydro makes it great for mowing. The only thing I would say against the D250 for logging would be ground clearance, it's plenty strong and with the locking axle it will go and pull but low ground clearance in the woods would concern me.

Why have it if you can't use it? :banana-dreads:

• Like 1

SAM58

IF YOU ARE GOING TO WORK IT, i WOULD LOOK FOR A 416, THRU 520H...

I WOULD BE LESS WORRIED ABOUT FINDING PARTS.

I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL FOR SALE WITH TRANS OR BEARING PROBLEMS.

JackC

A 416, C-165, C-175, or 520H will do a lot of work.

If you need the weight of a D class I would stick with the D-160, D-180, or D-200.

I wanted a D-250 at one point but looking at pictures of them is all I need now.

I use my D-160 with a cement weight on the back when I need muscle for pulling or pushing things.

My 520HC just spins its wheels on those jobs.