Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Horse Kid

Need Help With Steering Wheel

Wheel Horse Kid

Hi,

I have to replace the steering collar on my 312-8, due to the fact that I smashed it with the hood of my tractor when my tractor rolled off our driveway and into our truck (Yep, right smack into the passenger door!).

My problem is that I cannot get the darn steering wheel off so that I can get to the collar. I tried to knock the pin out of the steering wheel, but I had no success. Can anybody tell me how to get the steering wheel off????

Thanks!

AMC RULES

Can you drill the pin out? :scratchead:

BIGKUZ

I don't know if your set-up is the same as on my 551 but I had to drill the pin out then put a wheel puller on it and heat the crap out of it , almost cherry red and it still took a few shots with a good size hammer to finally free it up! I was starting to think it was welded on, good luck. Bigkuz

bowtiebutler956

This type of steering wheel can be a real Bugger! I would drill the pin out first, then put a puller on it. Tighten the puller, and the hit the center rod of the puller with a hammer. The bigger the hammer the better. Good Luck! :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

pfrederi

There are some old threads on this. One idea was to tip the tractor on its side brace the steering column and then use a roll pin punch and a bigger hammer. Or remove the dash assembly and steering column as a unit then you can brace it more easily and drive out the pin. That is why you see steering wheels/column still in the dash frame for sale on EBAY they couldn't get teh pin out and steering wheel off.

The pin is a spirol pin (or was originally). They do not drill well..Usually wind up breaking the bit

varosd

someone has a steering wheel puller on sleazebay just looks like a shoulder bolt and 2 nuts, painted WH red!

Wheel Horse Kid

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I will let you all know how it turns out!

krazy_horse

someone has a steering wheel puller on sleazebay just looks like a shoulder bolt and 2 nuts, painted WH red!

How would this work? It looks like one nut is welded. Jim

Trouty56

I take the wheel to work after dismantling the dash. They set the wheel on the vise and squirt a little blaster on the pin and then drive it out with a punch and small hammer. The press does the rest.

sent via mobile....

radarme

I just did this on my '78 C-121.... Kept penetrating fluid on the pin for a week and then used a roll pin punch to get it out. Took another few weeks of penetrating fluid to get the steering wheel to let go of the column... clamped the column in a vise and tried to turn the wheel each night until it finally let go.

• Like 1

C-85

It's to late for this now, but when was a dealer and we assembled the our new tractors we always put grease on the steering shaft and the hub of the steering wheel to prevent this from happening. I wish other dealers had also done this. When ever I assemble two metal parts together I most always put grease on them to avoid a mess like this. This took about 2 seconds of time and very little grease, so we just did it and thought it might save a lot of time if we ever had to take it apart in the future. :party:

C-85

• Like 1

COMMANDO6

I take the wheel to work after dismantling the dash. They set the wheel on the vise and squirt a little blaster on the pin and then drive it out with a punch and small hammer. The press does the rest.

sent via mobile....

This is the way to do it. My dad have removed roll pins from things. The vise is definitely necessary, then make sure you have the right sized punch. Then sit the hub of the wheel on the vise, let the axle hang freely from the bottom, and give it a couple good whacks with the hammer. This shouldn't damage anything, including the drill bits.

bountyhunter

I have always had the best luck using PB Blaster. Soak the mess out of it and let it sit for awhile, the take a punch and hit it a few times and then put some more PB on it. I'm going to have to do

the steering wheel on my GT1100 so I can change the steering shaft. I already sprayed it the other day and still haven't had a chance to get back to it. But I will hit the roll pin on one side then go to the other side and hit it back the other way to kind of break it loose.

darg

don,t know much about this tractor. but i have a C160 that i needed to replace the sterring wheel. Tried everything and finaly gave up. Cut the sterring wheel shaft , welded the old shaft to the other shaft with the wheel. Might have to do this kind of job.

darg

Wheel Horse Kid

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I was actually able to pop the steering column back into place, so I did not have to take off the wheel after all.

can whlvr

those wheels can be a real task,i agree,never had too much luck drilling split pins,some people cut right below the wheel and then have it pressed out,i had one that i never got out,the wheel was gonna break so i restored the machine with the wheel attached to the center section

Wheel Horse Kid

those wheels can be a real task,i agree,never had too much luck drilling split pins,some people cut right below the wheel and then have it pressed out,i had one that i never got out,the wheel was gonna break so i restored the machine with the wheel attached to the center section

Yah, I am glad that I did not have to deal with it!

krazy_horse

I havent figured out how this works. Anybody?

groundhog47

Say Jim, looked at that puller awhile back and said the same thing. WH Kid thank goodness you solved it, Good work!

darg

Glad you got the pin out. They are a pain in the neck to get out

darg

duke

I just disassembled the dash tower and removed the wheel & shaft with the dash piece to a large vise. I drilled a hole in the cast of the wheel(plastic) and made room for a large punch. Then a 2-1/2 lb hammer did the rest very nicely!

There were even bits of metal falling out due to the crappy end of the shaft hidden in the plastic cast of the wheel, I cleaned all that up before I re-assembled it. I too had to replace the collar, but no wreck or anything...

darg

glad you got the pin out duke. I didn,t have that good of luck with mine. I guess the person that had it before me left it out in the wheather. I had to cut the shaft and weld the replacement wheel and shaft, .Works fine

darg