Tap53
chipbudding.jpg
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos: How long before that graft will produce fruit? :scratchead:

Tap53

3 years

312Hydro

That's interesting. Do you do that so one tree bears many different apples or is it for disease resistance?

Tap53

Rich, Its just to have different apples on one tree, I had one on my dads farm with 5 different apples, the main tree and 4 others, the DUMMYS that bought the place cut it down because the old donkey face bat didnt want to mow around it, it was 16 years old, that still really Pisses me off when I see her fat Ass flying across the yard with that piece of junk mower they got...looks like shes just sitting on some tires, ya cant see the mower..

Tim

• Like 1

312Hydro

Rich, Its just to have different apples on one tree, I had one on my dads farm with 5 different apples, the main tree and 4 others, the DUMMYS that bought the place cut it down because the old donkey face bat didnt want to mow around it, it was 16 years old, that still really Pisses me off when I see her fat Ass flying across the yard with that piece of junk mower they got...looks like shes just sitting on some tires, ya cant see the mower..

Tim

Wow Tim! Talk about inner hostility! ROFL! You paint a vivid picture! Sorry tho to here about that apple tree. I never like it when a tree comes down for no good reason.

Tap53

Well, It just really bothers me, Dad and I had a nursery and tree farm for many years, and really took pride in keeping his farm as nice as possible, when a customer would come to purchase trees, the first impression and a fair price made it a very nice business..just imagine this farm surrounded by 15-20' blue and colorado spruce, with the weed free green lawn and a few wild flowers here and there and then all of a sudden when Dad passes away and the farm is sold, old donkey face decides not to only cut down the apple tree, but cut all the branches off these trees from the ground up 6' so she can see who's driving by.. Yes, I know its not mine but Dad and I worked our butts off for years to make this place one of a kind and then totally ruined by some idiots..So That Why The Inner Hostility, End Of Story :angry:

AMC RULES

I bet your Dad would really like your new graft project Tap. :thumbs:

312Hydro

So how big does the graft have to be? Do you get it from a certain part of the tree? Looks like a nice job. I agree with Craig . :thumbs:

Tap53

You can take a bud from any branch of the donor tree as long as it is healthy and about the same size diameter, the branch in the pic is about 1" dia.

Tim

CasualObserver

I'd like to see some more pictures please. My grandfather had hobby orchards that I grew up next door to, and he tried his hand at grafts a few times. Always interested in nursery/orchard type stuff like this. One of my dreams would be to be able to have that for a hobby.

AMC RULES

Is it a one time only thing, or will that bud keep producing it's specific fruit from now on?

Tap53

Is it a one time only thing, or will that bud keep producing it's specific fruit from now on?

Craig, It will produce that specific Apple for the life of the tree, I'm sure you have seen the big graft union on apple trees at ground level, it's the same except on a branch.

You can purchase just root stock in 3 or 4 (M) sizes, from dwarf to large tree size, then graft your favorite apple to the root stock..

Example: If you had a full size Harlson Apple tree (30' tall) you could graft it to a dwarf root stock (8' tall) and have a 8' Harlson apple tree...then you wouldnt need a ladder to pick those yummy apples.

Tim

• Like 1

Tap53

I'd like to see some more pictures please. My grandfather had hobby orchards that I grew up next door to, and he tried his hand at grafts a few times. Always interested in nursery/orchard type stuff like this. One of my dreams would be to be able to have that for a hobby.

Sorry, I dont have many pics of past work, when Dad died my DEVIL sisters and brothers took everything they could get there hands on, even all pic and photo albums, but will take an occasional pic so you can see the process of what I'm doing now..

Do you want to learn how to do grafting, chip and T budding? I can send you or give you some good link on how to get started. Its kinda tricky at first, and all are not successful, so it can get disappointing, but the successful ones make up for the failures and you will have your special touch on that tree for the rest of your life..

Do you remember what apple trees your Grandfather had?

Tim

CasualObserver

Someday I'll read up on it. Don't have the time to take on another hobby right now. I was pretty little when he was doing it, but I think they were peaches that he was working on, not apples. Unfortunately I was too young to remember or understand the details. I just remember that he was excited about it working and I thought it was cool that he was able to blend trees together. I grew up in 6a and now live in 4b....little different growing conditions to get used to. We had two full acres of a variety of trees growing up. Multiple varieties of apples, cherries, peaches, plums, pears, a persimmon tree, a butternut tree and a walnut tree as well as a few varieties of grapes, red, white and black raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries and gooseberries. He tried to get apricots going several times, but could never find one hardy enough. There was one a 1/4 mile up the road on the old home place though and it did just fine. So needless to say, I'm one of a few lucky one's who got to grow up knowing exactly what all those things taste like coming right off the tree / vine. I spent some of my fall picking apples and squeezing cider in an old hand crank press. We'd freeze gallons and gallons every year.

I would appreciate watching updates of your work if you share. Thanks for bringing up a good memory!

AMC RULES

I would appreciate watching updates of your work if you share.

:text-yeahthat::text-+1: :text-thankyouyellow:

Tap53

Craig, Sure, I like to share, My Bills To :P

I will be doing some T and Chip budding on flowering crab and maples as soon as it warms up a bit, replacing some broken off branches.

I'll post some pics for you as I go along.

Thanks for being interested,

Tim

Tap53

Heres a few more pics,

Asparagus and Hardwood Cutting of Raspberry

COMMANDO1

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE BEST WAY TO TRIM APPLE TREES?

Tap53

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE BEST WAY TO TRIM APPLE TREES?

Best time is very late fall or winter, during dormant season, Apples grow on last years growth, so dont take out any more branches than you need to, I usually take out only center branches to keep it open for more sun and crossing or rubbing branches, up to 50% removal is good even the length can be shortened a foot or two, you will have a few less apples the next year but they will be bigger and the tree will be healthier. just stand back every so often and walk around the tree, if it looks open and clean you did a good job, also cut the suckers off the trunk and at ground level.. Clean your pruner with a 1:9 bleach mix before during and after you pruning.

Have Fun,,

Tim

AMC RULES

Any advice for the trimming of lilacs Tim?

I read to trim within two weeks after blooming, which I did last last year. Also read to ring the ground, the diameter of the root ball with fireplace ashes in the fall...all to increase the bloom the following year. I got virtually no blooming this spring at all, foliage is very healthy though. I wanted them it be fuller, so I didn't trim back any of the suckers at the bottom last year either...I'm wondering if maybe that's the reason for no flowers this spring, maybe all it's energy is going into the new growth?

Tap53

Any advice for the trimming of lilacs Tim?

I read to trim within two weeks after blooming, which I did last last year. Also read to ring the ground, the diameter of the root ball with fireplace ashes in the fall...all to increase the bloom the following year. I got virtually no blooming this spring at all, foliage is very healthy though. I wanted them it be fuller, so I didn't trim back any of the suckers at the bottom last year either...I'm wondering if maybe that's the reason for no flowers this spring, maybe all it's energy is going into the new growth?

Craig, Ashes, Hmmm, very little amount probably wouldn't hurt but to much will increase the concentration of Hydroxyl Ions, which increases the alkalinity (PH), and with an increase of PH the NPK availability will decrease, which will lead to a very unhealthy Lilac..High alkalinity will lock NPK and the lilac or any tree or shrub will not be able to take it in, death with-in several years will be likely..Lilac should be pruned as soon as the flowers fade.

2 weeks is just a general time frame..and Yes, by letting the suckers grow will take away the bloom process energy, but you should of had some flowering, the only thing I can think of with out seeing the lilac is that you could have missed the critical time of pruning, by 1-2-3-4 days,, no one knows for sure,,, :P

Just be careful with wood ashes, the best thing is to use a high phosphorus fertilizer, N (P) K spring, summer and fall, the cheapest you can find, or a water soluble fertilizer and give it a good drink once a month.

Tim :icecream:

AMC RULES

Got it...no more ashes...I'll find a high P fertilizer, and see how that goes.