Sign in to follow this  
608KEB

C-160 not charging

608KEB

I did some basic checks on the charging system with no luck. I was looking for suggestions as to why my C-160 won't charge. Is it possible the magnito failed. Is there a way to check it. KB

rmaynard

Do you have a standard K341S engine on your C-160? I don't think any of them have a magneto. You should have a stator behind the flywheel, and a regulator/rectifier mounted on the back of the hood stand. At 3600 RPM, the stator should be producing about 38 to 40 volts AC to the R/R where it is converted to DC voltage for charging and for supplying power to the coil, lights, etc.. You should have about 14.5 volts DC coming from the B+ terminal of the R/R.

608KEB

It has a 14 Hp kohler, I'm guessing early 70's KS341 not sure about the S

rmaynard

A 14HP would be a K321. What is the spec number?

608KEB

I can get that in a few days. Tractor is about 1 1/2 hours from me. Thanks! KB

Wheel-N-It

Research my recent thread on needing help with the charging system of my 417. All the old Kohler charging systems work the same whether its a single cylinder or a twin. I have an old Kohler 12 horsepower K motor settting on my work bench, and its basically the same setup as my KT-17 twin. The worst case will be the stator is bad or some of the magnets have come unglued from inside the flywheel. Best case could be a bad connection, or a bad ignition switch, or a bad ampmeter, or bad ground on your voltage regulator or bad voltage regulator itself. There is nothing magic about this stuff. Its basic charging system technology.