Sign in to follow this  
312Hydro

Sears 3pt. Hitch and Plow on Wheel Horse 312H

312Hydro

I'm not sure if anyone has done this but here are pics of the progress so far. I wanted to do a larger garden this year and purchased a tiller before I rebuilt the 312H last year. I talked to my wife's uncle and he had a Sears cat 0 3pt hitch and plow that he used in his garden. My plan was to plow then till the new ground this year. So , I needed to fabricate a mount to put it on the :wh: . It bolts to the axle similar to the rear attachment for the tiller. I had to space it out enough so the handle wouldn't hit the fender. Here are a few pics of the progress so far:

th_6841e5b8.jpg

th_3b84e6f5.jpg

th_6b3ebcf0.jpg

While I was making the mount, I realized I could make the top link mount and the lift arm brackets and arms. I want to do this so I can use the rock shaft to raise and lower the plow. Then I can get rid of the handle. I also need to tie into the :wh: hitch mount for added support. That's where I'm at right now and I'll post pics of the progress.

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

That's going to be a great setup when its done. :woohoo: Nice work! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

312Hydro

That's going to be a great setup when its done. :woohoo: Nice work! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Thanks,Matt. I hope to have it finished by the end of next week.

Hydro

I think that's a pretty neat set up you have there. Did they make other attachments you could use with that mount?

smoreau

That is a Sears 3 point for there suburbans. So all the Sears 3 point attachments should fit. That 3 point and plow sell for a very nice price! Not a bad set up to pull a plow! I like it.

dennist

Great idea, nice to see it works. Hope you get it to work without the handle.

danjmah

Nice work! Great setup!

312Hydro

Thanks Gary. I think Scott gave the best answer to your question. I don't really know what other attachments Sears made.

smoreau

Check out this link

• Like 2

312Hydro

Great idea, nice to see it works. Hope you get it to work without the handle.

Nice work! Great setup!

Thanks , I was able to do some more on it today. I cut out an opening so I could insert the Hitch pin. I'm going to have a bracket support the 3pt adapter using the bushings at the hitch pin. It will give it more strength than just hanging it off of the axle. Here are some pics:

th_5af9788b.jpg

th_7e89ee15.jpg

th_5f110a47.jpg

th_ba97d375.jpg

Laying out the bracket-

th_6921ff83.jpg

Bracket cut-

th_4932c44d.jpg

312Hydro

Check out this link

Thanks Scott. Wow, There sure are a lot of attachments for the Sears too! Those look like real tractors,not like the ones sold today.

smoreau

Thats why they are so popular with the pulling guys

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I considered doing something similar a while back but while looking for the moldboard I ended up getting a SS12 with the 3pt, moldboard, tire chains and metal wheel weights for $100 so started buying Sears tractors too. They are stout tractors just like all brands from that era.

• Like 1

312Hydro

I considered doing something similar a while back but while looking for the moldboard I ended up getting a SS12 with the 3pt, moldboard, tire chains and metal wheel weights for $100 so started buying Sears tractors too. They are stout tractors just like all brands from that era.

Hard to pass up a $100 tractor package like that.

312Hydro

I was able to get the adapter welded up and primed today. Next on the list is to make the lift mechanism.Here are today's pics.

I continued with the bracket which really didn't look good to me yet-

th_f0597e67.jpg

I cut an arc into the top and sides ,looked better.

th_1368ffa2.jpg

I needed to weld the spacers to the bracket and would need to do that on the tractor.

th_18ea9ce6.jpg th_9fbe36a8.jpg

Before i could weld it, I disconnected the battery. I wouldn't want to blow out the alternator or anything else.

th_d19f1634.jpgTacked the bracket first. th_4f1f6d11.jpg Then the spacers using the pin to keep everything aligned.

After welding it up, I decided to make both sides the same. So I cut the tall side but still had a spot to fill to make both sides the same.

th_e9ac85b9.jpg th_3adafbe6.jpg

Sorry, no pics of the sandblasting but it was pretty gritty! Here is the finished adapter in primer.

th_26a983f7.jpg th_456e7977.jpg

Tomorrow I'll bolt it back up and start work on the lift.

kpinnc

That's some very nice fab work Rich. That "adapter" should be very strong.

• Like 1

312Hydro

That's some very nice fab work Rich. That "adapter" should be very strong.

Thanks ! It really is solid now that the hitch pin is used too. Here are today's pics. I was only able to weld my nuts to the top of the adapter. Sure beats fumbling with those carriage bolts from the bottom.

th_5a129efb.jpg

Right Axle

th_8bfb056c.jpg

Left Axle

th_b7738fcd.jpg

Bottom showing Hitch Pin

th_5f539211.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it so far. It could be used "as is" with the Sears handle. Next I'd like to fab up a mount that will connect with a cable to the rock shaft under the tank.I plan on using a pulley to connect to the top link arm.Just need to get some more material. I think it will work ok if I get the lift to match the throw of the rock shaft. Still working it out while I fab the other parts.

Alan_Heist

You got FAB skills!!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: Nice work!!

Wheel Horse Kid

Cool modification and idea!

312Hydro

You got FAB skills!!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: Nice work!!

Cool modification and idea!

Thanks fellas. I haven't done the fab work on the lift cable yet. Still working out what I want. I'll get back to this once I have the garden under control as I'm still getting plants in and cleaning up the garage. I thought I found the answer here- . Unfortunately my setup is different from JUSS10 so I'll need to fab my own solution. Here are a few pics of it in use.

th_5ef33b6a.jpg th_ebee6f0b.jpgth_846297b3.jpg th_69d44158.jpg