Sign in to follow this  
wheelhoss

which is better

wheelhoss

Which is stronger a 8 pinion or a 10 pinion

Coadster32

Short answer...8 pinion. Any pulling guys that chime in will confirm this, (to peices)

• Like 1

Kelly

Yup, I have a core trans here from a puller, the guy thought the 10 pinion would be stronger, wrong, it sounds like a box of cracker jacks when you turn the axle till it stops turning then turn it back the other way till it stops :hide:

wheelhoss

Can you change over a 10 pinion to a 8 pinion transmission. If so were can you get parts at the toro dealer can't get the 8 or the 10 pinion transmission parts. Does anybody have a 8 pinion transmission for sale I need one bad I still have some gardens to harrow up. WHEEL HORSE POWER!!!!!!!!

can whlvr

if i were you i would just get a rear end with the 8 pinion allready,pretty easy to swap out whole trannys,not sure if you can swap out the diffs from 10 to 8,someone here will be able to help you,i once bought a rear end from a member and had it shipped 1000 miles across the border and it wasnt that expensive,not as much as an axle for one side,and thats to but it and ship it

wheelhoss

Yeah I know it would be easier to swap out other another transmission. But I was trying to save on cost.

can whlvr

i would think it will be cheaper to but a whole tractor then buy any tranny parts from the dealer,when my axle broke,due to the dealer putting so much heat to it ,it broke a few weeks later,it was 350 bucks,and i dont think all the parts are even available if it could be done,i see rear ends for 125-150 complete

Pocketraisins

Heck....sometimes you can get a good working parts tractor for $100-200 dollars with engine, transmission, wheels, sheetmetal etc....

Thats how I got my two C-101's...and both have the 8 pinion rear of course! Keep checking CL, local shops and other guys on the forums. You might get lucky!

wheelhoss

i don't think you have a wheel horse as heavy as mine. You have no idea.

smoreau

I have found several c1-- 8 speeds for $50 around here. heck I don't think I would pay over $50 for a complete trans with hubs

wheelhoss

i would definitely buy one or two if you could ship them. i live all the way in kentucky.

bowtiebutler956

Great Video! Those Horses are definitely earning their keep! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

can whlvr

i live in ontario,when i bought a rear end i got it from kentucky,it was only about 125 dollars to ship,thats probally 1000 miles,it was still way cheaper than buying the gear and axle i needed,then i swapped them and watched ebay and about a year later i got 2 axles,4 pinions,the bull gear and drive gears for 10 bucks,thaqt was a steal,now i have a rear end on the shelf incase of a breakdown,but it doesnt happen often with a properly taken care of rear tranny,im sure you will find what you need

wheelhoss

Yeah I love all my wheel horses. I run them hard. I rebuild the motors if they need rebuild and run good oil and rebuild the transmissions if they need work like gears, seals and bearings it gets good gear oil. I keep them in tip top shape. Because I use at least one every day. If I can just keep the transmissions togather. And one more thing Firestone 23 degrees tires are the best tire every.

leeave96

Wheelhoss - that's one of the best Wheelhorse videos I've ever seen. I especially like how you get the tractor unstuck!

Bill

wheelhoss

Thanks for the comment. That's the easiest way to get them unstuck if I have the front weights on them. You wouldn't have a 8 pinion transmission for sale.

leeave96

Thanks for the comment. That's the easiest way to get them unstuck if I have the front weights on them. You wouldn't have a 8 pinion transmission for sale.

Sorry - I don't have an 8 pinion for sale. Please tell me you didn't blow out a tranny plowing the garden... ;)

wheelhoss

No not plowing its got a 8 pinion transmission. The one I harrow with has the blowed out transmission.

can whlvr

have you posted in the want adds,it was a few years ago but thats where i found mine

wheelhoss

No I havent. Ill do that now.